• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 29 spline lockers

Drunk tank

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've finally started saving for a rear locker and have started doing some reasearch. apparantly only detroit and no-slip are available for this axle (I dont want a selectable). Also, exactly WHICH detroit locker is the one for the 8.25? I found part numbers but couldnt figure out what type it was.

Do either require messing with the R&P? though I normally will do anything myself... I dont know why but I dont feel like Id be up to par screwwing with gears and setting them correctly on my DD.

overall, which one do you all prefer?

the no-slip is a good one... as for the detroit locker, i thought there was only ONE detroit locker. the detroit replaces the carrier, and i believe the no-slip works with ur existing carrier.

brandon
everyone i know seems to think the no-slip is efficient enough and has no complains regarding a click/noise factor

The No-Slip doesn't require you to mess with the gears. You put it in the existing carrier while it's still in the rear end.

If you need help, give me a holler.

Dont bother with a drop in locker like a no slip if you have really low gears or have large tires, from experience, i see to many people blow up drop in lockers because they have large right foots. putting a full case detroit locker in an 8.25 is a piece of cake if you are not changing gear ratios. changing the gearset means that you must change pinion depth which is a little more complicated. if your not changing gears, here is how it goes
-call randys ring and pinion or whoever and buy a chrysler 8.25 backlash adjuster, it looks like a long pipe with a nut on the end , it is slid through the axle tubes to move the carrier left or right
-get the detroit locker, new carrier bearings, new ring bolts, and gear compound
-take the axle shafts out, loosen carrier bolts, insert backlash adjuster and loosen the carrier adjusters on each side
-remove carrier, remove old ring gear (bolts are reverse thread), might need to apply pressure using press
-put detroit locker in freezer for few hours, put ring gear in the sun
-press new bearings on carrier, old ring gear should almost slip right on detroit
-tighten ring gear bolts (REMEMBER they are reverse thread)
-install carrier back in axle and snug down bearing caps
-move the carrier until you get around .008" of backlash
-tighten backlash adjusters using regular sized wrench pretty hard, this will set carrier bearing preload

This install is easier then it sounds if you have a few special tool only if you are keeping the same gear set. The chrysler 8.25 is cake to work on with the threaded adjusters, you wont have to mess with shims. Randy's can give a booklet on how to set up gears and you will only follow the finishing end of installing a new carrier section.

my friend had one in the front and it now only powers the left wheel, hahaha
i think the no slips are around $400 and the detroits are $550, i would spend the extra money and get the detroit, the special tools to install it are around $50 bucks extra, you'll see why you should get a full case replacement when you pull the diff cover off and see the cheapo diff you will be installing a new $400 no slip into. I put a trac loc in instead of a detroit because I had weaker 27 splines and not enough money to buy the detroit but i wished i did the upgrade at the time regardless.

My Jeep is 98. When it was about 1.5 y.old, I stuffed No-Slip in rear axle which is 8.25. The truck had 18K miles then, now it has over 100K miles on the clock, No signs of going bad as of yet. Occasional pop or bang comming out of corners, other than that it's seamless. I got 4.10 gears and sometimes I like to fire up rear tires for fun. I think PowerTrax has done a good job developing No-Slip.
In Addition CHRY 8.25 when equipped with LSD has a slightly stronger carrier.
Just my .02$
LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :worship:

I'm glad someone had luck with em because $400 aint cheap for a drop in locker. You bring up another issue. If drunk tank has a trac lok, he has no other drop in locker choice other than a no slip unless he goes full detroit. Besides, I havent seen any cheapo lock rights for the chrysler 8.25 for a while now

Pietro, I will bet $20 that when you pull the no slip out of your friends jeep, that the active spacer on the pass side has broken the tab off. that is caused by improper installation. your badmout ing the no-slip like you had one but haven't.
yes a detroit is stronger, but for the 8.25 can only go 456's. 29 spline shafts, i wouldn't recomend more than 35's. i ran a no-slip for 4 years in my 27 spl 8.25 on 31's. now i have detroit because it was more cost effective in my d44. i still run a no-slip in my d30 on 33's and 4.88's. not a problem Jackhammer.
you can install a noslip in less than an hour with hand tools. I do recomend purchasing an extra spring kit and rebuilding the locker with new springs once a year.

my friends no slip doesn't work because of abuse. he is a jeep master tech and has built many trucks, all i am saying is that in my opinion, spend an extra 150 bucks and get a much stronger full case detroit. if the no slip was like 250 or 300 then i would have to think twice about spending the extra dough.

Pietro said:
If drunk tank has a trac lok, he has no other drop in locker choice other than a no slip unless he goes full detroit.

There is no other choice for a drop in locker for a 29 spline 8.25, no matter if you have a trac lock or not. 27 spline there are more choices.

Pietro said:
my friends no slip doesn't work because of abuse. he is a jeep master tech and has built many trucks,

I live with a Jeep mechanic, and he installed a no slip for me, and it works great, even through the abuse I take my jeep through. I know guys that have had them for 5+ years and they were very happy with them, even with big tires, gears, and a 4/1.

-Marisha

i think another problem besides having a heavy right foot is that he used break shafts and u-joints all the time. i think the shock from them popping might have had something to do with it also but that was in the front axle

"Anybody can and will break anything" . Go with the No-Slip unless you are a jackass with the throttle, but then again if you were doing that you could break anything.

my vote is to spend another 150 bucks and get a detroit for the 8.25 period. my opinion is that this axle is cake to setup a new carrier and for the extra money is worth the experience and brute strength of the detroit carrier. now if no slip lowered there price to say 300 bucks, then you have a different story but there not

I put an Auburn LSD in mine, pretty easy install if you have a press to remove the ring gear from the stock carrier and press it on to the auburn. Took some grinding on the insides of the pumpkin to get it fit but so far I am very happy with it. It is really working well on all the ice we have gotten here in the NE which is the only thing I had doubts about. It always did good off road from day one... I have a 98 w/8.25

i was going to put the auburn in but randy's r&p wanted 400 bucks for one and i decided to just put a trac lok in for know. if i'm spending that kind of money for a lsd, i would probably just put in a detroit

The Detroit is better but unless you know how to set it up you will have to pay someone to do it for you. The nice thing with the No-Slip is you can do it yourself with care.

i think alot of people missed the point of the original question, how hard is it to put a detroit in? I simply stated that the 8.25 has threaded backlash adjusters which make a new carrier install a piece of cake

Have you ever set up 8.25?
If answer is never, have a good mech install it for ya!
The procedure is not the hardest, it shouldn't take more that couple of hours with proper tools.

LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :worship:

Back