• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Almost 1" of toe-in and a stuck tie-rod

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Well after doin some wheelin the other day, I noticed on the way back that I had some funky vibes, it was tracking way to the right, and my steering wheel's center position was off by 30 degrees. Brought it home, sprayed PB Blaster on everything and let it sit overnight. The axle bolt for the track bar was loose- fixed it, no more vibes. Played with the drag link till I got the steering wheel dead on. While I was at it I figured that it would be a good idea to check the toe-in. Well, I got 53" on the front side of the tires and 53-15/16" on the rear side. Going by go-jeep's site, it should be the same or 1/16"-1/8" toe-in. I'd say I'm off a little bit :gag: and I cant get the damn tie rod to turn at all. No cash means no professional alignment.

What are you using the try and turn the tie rod? I found that a pipe wrench worked best. If you are having trouble with it still you can add some tubing to the pipe wrench and give er hell. I found on my '00 XJ that the vise grips did not work at all. It took a lot of force to break it lose, but now that it is lose, alignments are no problem.

i've always done my own alignments (toe) and never had any odd handling or tire wear, and I just use a tape-measure. as for getting the tie-rod to turn, I remember trying to break my stock one loose the first time, fun stuff. Get a pipe wrench and a 2 foot piece of pipe to sleeve over the handle, that should make short work of it.

i just replaced my tie rod and drag link when faced with a bent tie rod problem...
But, a "professional" allignment is about $40.00 here in NE... which IMO is well worth the $ to save every bit of my tires that i can...
here was my solution:
http://www.opiebennett.com/curriesteering.htm

where do you do the adjustment measurements? I’m sure that I need to readjust mine….

Hmmm... Maybe I'm waaaaay off here but the last time I had my front end aligned, the shop (old school Jeep dealer) told me and set it up with 0" toe in...
I remember it being tricky to do, because I'm running an aftermarket steering conversion and my toe-in can only be adjusted by the rod-ends.

Gil BullyKatz said:
Hmmm... Maybe I'm waaaaay off here but the last time I had my front end aligned, the shop (old school Jeep dealer) told me and set it up with 0" toe in...
I remember it being tricky to do, because I'm running an aftermarket steering conversion and my toe-in can only be adjusted by the rod-ends.

oh yeah...
my factory spec - REGARDLESS OF T-CASE was 0* - no toe in/out...
at Big-O at least...

Yup... Heres what I did to align my heep with a stuck tie rod: Drove it right next to the garage with a few feet in between. Got the biggest pipe wrench I could find on the rod then put my back against the wall and slowly put very firm steady pressure on the tie rod pressing with my foot. (after PB soaking) Worked like a charm. Good luck

sorry to hijack a little but i went to get an allignment today and they said they couldn't do it without specs for my lift and what all the proper measurmens shoulud be with the modified suspension. this is the second shop that has said this. what's up i kinda understand what their saying but what happend to the old days when the bolted guages on the hubs and went from there now they enter in year make model and align it to stock specs.

Just went back for round three with it. Pipe wrench and a 3' piece of iron pipe I found- the tie-rod is bending like a long bow! This thing is hollow right? not solid stock like aftermarket. I gave it more PB Blaster and I will let it soak overnight...I predict something is gonna break in round four. Thanks for the input.

dothedew24_7 said:
Just went back for round three with it. Pipe wrench and a 3' piece of iron pipe I found- the tie-rod is bending like a long bow! This thing is hollow right? not solid stock like aftermarket. I gave it more PB Blaster and I will let it soak overnight...I predict something is gonna break in round four. Thanks for the input.
sounds like you need a new tie-rod. either buy an aftermarket one, or get newish stock one and sleeve it with pipe/tube and weld.

It took two pipe wrenches with me on one side and my dad on the other, but it finally broke free. If the rod ends weren't worn before they are now!

dothedew24_7 said:
It took two pipe wrenches with me on one side and my dad on the other, but it finally broke free. If the rod ends weren't worn before they are now!

another option is to throw the toe out of spec and wear out the smaller tires and then tell dad that you need new ones - then pay the difference for the 33" you know that you want...

XJ_ranger said:
another option is to throw the toe out of spec and wear out the smaller tires and then tell dad that you need new ones - then pay the difference for the 33" you know that you want...

:D hopefully by the time NAC Fest rolls around

XJ_ranger said:
yeah, that's right, get someone other then yourself to pay for your parts.....what a tard!!

Back