• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best shocks for 4" lift

what is your budget?
Old Man Emu seems to be the favorite around here - but i didnt have the $$$

I went the cheapo Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks and stabilizer route, at 100 for all 5 shocks - it cant be beat...

other low budget alternatives -
Monroe from Autozone for like 125 for all 4 with a lifetime waranty...

thats my opinion...

blackdogxj said:
how are the pro-comps??? do they ride good?

good is a little over rated, the ride is a little firmer than i would like, but that could be any number of things wrong with my suspention. The dont ride as nice as a friends RSX9000's or my other friends Bilteien 5150's, but for me they ride alright... i dont mind - im still young and my back isnt in pain yet...

1badxj over at jeepforum had the procomps on his white truck.... they rode (sp?) like a$$...

we both run the rough country "nitro" shocks now and like them really well.....

only $30 each @ rockymountainsusp.com....

just my $.02

I have the cheaper ProComps (ES3000s i think) with about 4.5-5" of lift. Ride isn't terrible but I don't like it. They seem even worse when its freezing out...

i like the way my doestch tech shocks ride, very soft but controllable. they are dirt cheap, $25 each, but they rust very quick on the white paint, recommend paint black as soon as you get em'

I have doestchs on mine now and don’t like them at all. I’ll be switching to Rancho 9000s as soon as I can get the rest of my suspension where I want it. I have two buddies that run Rough Country nitros in their TJs and have nothing but good things to say about them, price is real reasonable too.

i've heard that the ranchos are very stiff, i guess it is personal preference
soft=doetsch tech
stiff=rancho

but you must agree that the doesch tech rust on day one, and they make squishy noises when driving, sounds like something not appropriate to mention here

I’ve had my doetschs for about a year and a half now and haven’t had a problem with rust yet. Then again, they don’t salt the roads up here and I try to stay out of the creeks. You are right about them being soft; they feel kind of mushy to me. The best way I can describe it is like an old Cadillac, that sort of floating feeling. I prefer a stiffer (but not harsh) ride. I want to go with the Ranchos because of the 9 position adjustments. I figured that would give me some leeway to adjust the ride softer or stiffer as needed. That must be why they make so many different types of shocks, pick what ever suits you.

blackdogxj said:
how are the pro-comps??? do they ride good?

If you can afford it, get something better. Mine crapped out recently and they're a little less than a year old, they're the ES3000's. As for the ride, I guess they're OK. I feel alot more of the bumps and what not than when it was stock and compared to my Civic, but I don't know how much is from the suspension rather than the shocks. But it doesn't beat me to death either.

-Marisha

I have the doetsh tech DT8000 pre-runner shocks, they are a little heavier duty and ride a little stiffer than the 3000's. They where 155 for 4 of them from rocky-road.com. Can't yet comment on the longevity of them. I chose them becuase they seemed middle of the road price and stiffness wise.

I've also heard nothing but great reviews on the old man emu if you want to spend the money.

doestch techs rule as far as price goes, my friend bought a set of rusty's adjustable shocks ( I think they have 5 settings) he loves them because he doesnt run a front swaybar, so he turns them up stiff on the road and turns em all the way down for offroad

I'm very happy with my long travel OME. They're a bit long for my 3ish inch lift but will be fine when my driveshaft arrives and I can install the SYE and go to 4-4.5 inches. They are very controlled over the corrugations we get down under, my original shocks could not control the wallowing on the large corrugations but these work great. Also good on the sand at highish speed as well. All in all if you can afford them go the OME.

Cheers
Steve

Back