• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock rear tire carrier

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it while searching. Will an earlier model stock rear tire carrier, the one that mounts to the bumper and the hatch, fit a 2000XJ. If so does it bolt right up or is there lots of modifications to be done.

Thanks

Jeep never had a tire carrier that mounted to the hatch.

The one on my 87 XJ has a lower hinge that mounts on the bumper and an upper hinge that mounts to the right rear quarter panel, around the corner from and above the taillight. The carrier swings away, and latches in place by a sort of bullet catch in the center of the bumper.

I believe the factory later offered a different design that was attached only to the bumper, without the holes through the quarter panel for the upper hinge.

Nothing that mounted to the hatch.

I have the one that mounts on the bumper and right rear quarter panel, like what Eagle was describing. It was originally on an ’87 and I put it on my ’91. It wasn’t that hard to do, but it does require a little bit of fab work. I had to drill 4 holes and build a brace for the rear quarter panel mount, drill 4 holes in the bumper for the lower mount, and cut a notch out of the middle of the bumper for the latch assembly. I see no reason why it wouldn’t fit on a 2000 if you were willing to do the work. If you decide to go that route make sure you get all of the brackets with the mount: there are the upper and lower mounts, a brace that goes behind the bumper mount, the latch assembly (bumper part) and two braces that go behind it. This style spare tire carrier is only found on AMC Cherokees (pre ’91?), the bumper style carrier is found only on Chrysler Cherokees (’91 and later?). I can’t remember the exact years, but the different styles are specific to AMC and Chrysler.

Thanks for the response guys. I have a friend who is a pretty good fabricator. Hopefully we can get it to work.

Thanks

Back