• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake size???

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Does anyone know what size drum brakes were used on the 1996 classic with a chrysler 8.25? I've never done a set of rear brakes before is it difficult? What are some expected problems I may run into? Should I just take it to a shop?

Not sure of the size. Maybe someone with that rearend can chime in.

While they are more of a pain than the front, they certainly aren't difficult in my opinion. Do one side at a time. Use the other side as a reference. Take a digital photo if you have to. That way you know how the parts are assembled.

Letting a shop do it will be costly.

My mechanic friends hate doing them. But I find them kinda "interesting".

A generic repair manual should be of some help. You can buy all the springs and hardware for around $10 (each side) at a parts store. They come in a kit. I would recommend replacing all those with new.

The only major problem you may encounter is the drum not wanting to come off easily. Do a search and you will find suggestions for that problem.

Good luck to you.

9" x 2.5"

The only real problem you'll likely encounter is that the drums may be slightly out-of-round and/or have a ridge on the inner lip of the braking surface. You should take the drums to a shop to have them trued up on a brake lathe.

If you have the time and apptitude do them yourself.

Take the drums to a shop to see if they need to be turned.
Napa has a parts kit that has new spring, clips, etc. that covers both sides.
Bring the old shoes with you so you don't have to pay a core charge.
Take a picture or have a FSM so you know how everything goes back together.

Harwood,

good to hear from you. I hope your holidays went well. Is the diameter stamped on the drum or anywhere? Do all Chrysler 8.25 use 9" brakes? What cherokees use 10" brakes in the rear? My cherokee now has 140K on it. Do you think I should just go and replace the wheel cylinders while I have everything apart? They were on $16 each.

Supposedly, there were a few XJs with 10" diameter drums, early years and police package I think. These are pretty distinctive, they've got cooling fins cast around the outside. The 9" drums are smooth. You can also look for the max safe diameter, usually cast into the side facing the rim on the edge.

Unless your wheel cylinders are giving you signs of trouble, i.e. leaking, sticking, etc., I wouldn't swap them out.

AMC used 10" brakes on all the rear axles. In general, the D35 got 10x1.75" brakes and the D44 got 10x2.5". I don't think AMC ever used any 9" drums on the XJ. Chrysler changed over to 9" rear drums in either 1990 or 1991. I don't think there are any 1991 or newer XJs with 10" rear drums, not any 8.25 XJ axles with 10" drums.

Drum brakes are fun to play with simply because they are so ancient. Its almost humorous that we are well into the new millenium and car manufacturers are still putting this type of brake setup on cars. Now may be the right time for you to venture into a boneyard and look for a 'grand to take its rear disc setup for yours! Its a quick and easy swap and there's lots of info out there already covering the project. Go for it, man, you can do it!

Back