• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Guage

blackdogxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj, i just put a new fuel pump in it last month...now my guage is intermiting....it goes up to where it was, then it drops to E then after i kick the tank it goes back up for a little bit then goes back to E...what can this be??? bad sending unit???

Thanks
Brad

Did you replace it with a factory replacement? On my 90 XJ the float on the aftermarket fuel pump was completely different and had to be replaced by the one off of the old pump, The aftermarket one was getting stuck against the side of the tank. Hope this helps.

They actually have a recall on the sending unit for the 97 year. Mines a 97, but, missed it by a month- I had to replace at my own expense. Go to the Jeep website and they have a place where you can run the VIN to get recall info.

dothedew24_7 said:
They actually have a recall on the sending unit for the 97 year. Mines a 97, but, missed it by a month- I had to replace at my own expense. Go to the Jeep website and they have a place where you can run the VIN to get recall info.

The recall was # 755. "1997 Model Year Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Vehicles Built Through May 9, 1997"

MJR said:
The recall was # 755. "1997 Model Year Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Vehicles Built Through May 9, 1997"
Which I think is pretty unfair- Jeep knows a lot of the 98's got the same senders as the 97's, not to metion they didn't even cover all the 97's! :mad:

I have a 89 that has something simuliar. The gauge fluctutates as the pressure on accelerator varies. Fuel filter has been replaced and engine replaced before this started.

Any ideas?

dothedew24_7 said:
Which I think is pretty unfair- Jeep knows a lot of the 98's got the same senders as the 97's, not to metion they didn't even cover all the 97's! :mad:

Yup, I agree, I'm getting back at them by driving my XJ for a million miles Take that DC....:laugh3:

My 98 does the same thing but I'm NOT going to pull that fuel pump till it goes bad, funky sender I can live with and drive by tripmeter... been living with it for the last 180,000mi or so...

But that won't stop me from buying an unlimited, want one before they soccer mom it with IFS and a V6...

txmaced said:
I have a 89 that has something simuliar. The gauge fluctutates as the pressure on accelerator varies. Fuel filter has been replaced and engine replaced before this started.

Any ideas?

I'd check the ground wires at the engine oil dipstick tube mounting.

Hi Guy's I'm new to this thread... I've been away from JeeP's for a little while, but I'm back again... Previously I use to own a 42 Flat fender "far from stock"...

Recently I purchased a 94 XJ sports...

I'm not realy familiar with XJ's but I'm learning. I seem to have the same problem. When I fill up the tank, the gauge registers full. After a day or two it will creap down to "1/2" then drop off to "E"... Is this a problem with the sender unit ? If I replace it with a new one will it happen to that one to ?

Not sure, the sender problem is usually a 97+ problem but if it works when full, works part way then dies I'd say it was the sender. My 98 registers full when I fill it, stays that way for 50 mi or so then starts to drop to 3/4, then around 100 drops to below E and stays there till I fill it again. I drive by my trip odometer and have for a long time.

If you do a search on gas gauges here you will see that about 99% of them are 97+ XJ's. But I suppose that it has to happen to older ones too, be a kicker if a previous owner put one of the defective new ones in at some time in it's past...
It is kind of funny, I've had things fail on this jeep that I have NEVER had fail on any other vehicle I have ever owned. A/C evap for one and the gas tank sender for another, both big ticket items labor wise to have repaired, often wonder if it's planned that way as a method by which DC supports the service depts at jeep dealers... after all, how many people are going to drop their own gas tanks or remove their entire dash board at home...
Same with the TJ's, they have this little plastic lever that operates the flapper in the heater box, redirects the air up to the defroster vents, they break. Thats a $600 repair, entire dash has to come out to replace a $6 part...

browneee said:
I'm not realy familiar with XJ's but I'm learning. I seem to have the same problem. When I fill up the tank, the gauge registers full. After a day or two it will creap down to "1/2" then drop off to "E"... Is this a problem with the sender unit ? If I replace it with a new one will it happen to that one to ?

Sounds like a sender issue. The good thing is you don't need to drop the fuel tank to change it on yours unlike the 97-up. Just make sure you have less than 1/2 tank of gas. Sender problems happen to lots of other vehicles not just DCX ones.

MJR said:
Sounds like a sender issue. The good thing is you don't need to drop the fuel tank to change it on yours unlike the 97-up. Just make sure you have less than 1/2 tank of gas. Sender problems happen to lots of other vehicles not just DCX ones.

Well after reading that it's a common occurance on JeeP's I think I will stick to driving off the odometer... I've heard it's an $800 replacement in Australia !

dothedew24_7 said:

I am with everyone else... my early 98 (SeptI believe) has the same sending unit problem. This is not the only occurance in the Chrysler product lines. The 93-95 Dakotas (including the one I owned) had the same problem.

Oh well, trip odometer works good for me but it irritates the wife.
Hasta

Travis

Back