PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with my Inner Fenders after trimming?

Centrevillemx
January 10th, 2005, 16:44
I trimmed my front fenders to clear 31's and now my inner fender hangs about 1" below the edge of the body where I cut. I need to have inners for inspection so WHat have yall done to pull that up in there? The flares I am putting on will show that inner hanging down so It needs to be tucked up under there.

jrsxj98
January 10th, 2005, 17:36
trash them

scottsxj
January 10th, 2005, 17:40
I need to have inners for inspection.
he said he needed them to pass, i find that kinda odd, but you could just trim them up to level with the fender.

Goatman
January 10th, 2005, 18:40
Why do you need them for inspection? Not all vehicles have inner liners. If so, you probably trimmed too much.

Centrevillemx
January 10th, 2005, 18:49
Heres the problem:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/705000-705999/705728_5_full.jpg

If I try to pull it up under there, it cracks, so I dont wanna break that.

Goatman
January 10th, 2005, 18:54
Take 'em out. You don't need them and you'll never miss them. IF you get busted in an inspection (doubtfull) then worry about how to put them in.

BoostyKid
January 10th, 2005, 18:58
ya say screw it i took mine out and im sure everyone else has as well u dont need em.

redyouch
January 10th, 2005, 19:41
i love how you guys tell someone so much to take them out. i personally wouldnt take them out. you can bend them back and use sheet metal screws to attach them to the fender, behind the fender flair. what happens when they are removed is lots of dirt get into the door jam. this can cause rust on the door hinges. i think the 10 minutes it takes to adapt them to fit is worth the rust prevention and all the crap that comes in.

Lore5
January 10th, 2005, 19:46
i love how you guys tell someone so much to take them out. i personally wouldnt take them out. you can bend them back and use sheet metal screws to attach them to the fender, behind the fender flair. what happens when they are removed is lots of dirt get into the door jam. this can cause rust on the door hinges. i think the 10 minutes it takes to adapt them to fit is worth the rust prevention and all the crap that comes in.

You can take a "noodle" that kids play with in the pool and cut it up and slip it in there to prevent water from getting to the door hinges if you are worried about that.

Gil BullyKatz
January 10th, 2005, 19:58
I've never had any on my heep...
As far as waterproofing... Expanding foam, then rattle can, or rustroof undercoating.

Starboard M
January 10th, 2005, 20:50
Take it out. Nothing really gets in the engine compartment from there anyway, and mud and stuff just falls out when you open the door next.

Spanky414
January 11th, 2005, 14:00
For all the guys saying just trash it, it also exposes the back of your front blinkers to the water, mud and salt.

I'm spending the winter without a set right now and I'm sure I'm going to regret it in the spring.

I've heard of a guy using a heat gun to stretch and flex them into shape so I'm going to try that.

Ludakris
January 11th, 2005, 14:07
trash them. if you try screwing them in, they are going to break. But more important, why would you hack your fenders and put larger tires on before getting it inspected? I would be more concerned with the Inspector not liking the "custom" fenders than the lack of inner fenders. MD inspectors can be a bit picky with sheetmetal...

Centrevillemx
January 11th, 2005, 15:13
Sup Dudes

I called my guy and he said Id have to have them. This is THE guy to go to when getting inspections. I used to go riding with him so hes gonna cut me some slack on a lot of things, including the fender cuts. I did get them back up under there with some sheet metal brackets and pop riveted them in place:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/705000-705999/705728_7_full.jpg

And I decided to use the stock flares.

Gil BullyKatz
January 11th, 2005, 15:42
For all the guys saying just trash it, it also exposes the back of your front blinkers to the water, mud and salt.

I'm spending the winter without a set right now and I'm sure I'm going to regret it in the spring.

I've heard of a guy using a heat gun to stretch and flex them into shape so I'm going to try that.

My rig has spent 8 salty/snowy Chicago winters since I've had it...
Blinkers have NOT been a problem...
If ya have to do it to be legal, that's fine.
I also run the stock flares

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/bullycatz/jeep/DSCF0007.jpg

88flexj
January 11th, 2005, 17:01
I am glad you are reusing the stock fender flares. What did you use to cut those fenders with? A chainsaw? LOVE IT!

bj-666
January 11th, 2005, 18:28
i tried to do what everyone was saying and bend the stock inner fender up and screw it on but it just wouldn't go so i ripped them out and put pool noodles in. They work great and no dirt gets to the hinges. They stuff in nicely in the rear but the front i had to tie up because it would pop out on the highway and look like i giant pink penis coming out of the side of my truck
Yea i got the pink noodles

Lunatic728
January 11th, 2005, 20:08
look like i giant pink penis coming out of the side of my truck
Yea i got the pink noodles

Never thought I would EVER read that one on this site........

AJ-MJ
January 11th, 2005, 20:56
When I trimed my fenders I had a similar problem. When you try to bend the inner liner they were brittle and broke. I pulled mine. I saved the little black push pins. I then went to a junk yard and for $25 I bought some that weren't brittle and reinstalled them. Just my 2 cents!

Centrevillemx
January 12th, 2005, 04:09
In an afternote:

I will never again trim a fender before I make sure that it it needed. I will use a grinder with a cutting wheel instead of a sawzall with a bimetal blade. My flares do not have that liner with all the holes on the inside the way it was mounted before. How are yall mounting them then?

XJJPR
January 12th, 2005, 04:45
What is MD's purpose of having a plastic liner law?

Do realize that is NOT the inner fender! The inner fender IS the metal part under the liner. There are WAY too many vehicles out there that just have metal and no plastic. There can't be any MD law talking about plastic liners just to make the inner fender look better, MD is a nice looking state but plastic lined fenders isn't going to make it better looking!

Anyhow, I would check into that more and if it is true, move the hell out of there! :D

hinkley

xjbmx
January 12th, 2005, 05:41
I used some aluminum sheet metal my dad got up at work and used self tapping screws to get it up out of the way. It works really well the only hard part is keeping the metal bent to the arch of the fender while your screwing it in.

Ludakris
January 12th, 2005, 05:59
What is MD's purpose of having a plastic liner law?

Do realize that is NOT the inner fender! The inner fender IS the metal part under the liner. There are WAY too many vehicles out there that just have metal and no plastic. There can't be any MD law talking about plastic liners just to make the inner fender look better, MD is a nice looking state but plastic lined fenders isn't going to make it better looking!

Anyhow, I would check into that more and if it is true, move the hell out of there! :D

hinkley

well, as a MDer.. I want to point out that he lives out in the Eastern Shore and is using "his guy". So there are alot of "circumstances" happening here... MD does have very strict inspections because you only need it once and the inspectors face a $10K fine if they let something go and then something happens. I would not think that plastic would fail either, they usually go for the major mechanical stuff, no holes, and nothing sticking out. But then again, I kept mine 100% stock before the inspection, then started cutting.

Jeepin Jason
January 12th, 2005, 08:29
holy hacked fenders batman! that's a LOT of trimming for just 31's. That's the kind of trimming I did for 33's, and I'm now running 35's with about that same amount. You shouldn't have had to cut hardly any metal to clear 31's, especially on stock rims. This is all I did to clear 31's on aftermarket 8" rims:

http://jeepin.com/features/stageone/trim2.jpg

Good luck getting factory flares back on there! Considering you've completely removed the mounting lip from the fender, I'd say you're best bet would be to make some cuts in the fender and bend out some small tabs, then cut the mounting flange off the flares and poprivit the flares to the tabs on the fender. That or buy some cut-out flares from Rusty's or Bushwacker.