• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somebodies cruel joke?

Berserker

NAXJA Forum User
I think I was victim to somebodies cruel joke, few days ago I heard a loud pop when I was accelerating and then it started to rattle real bad, thinking it was the clutch well I started looking around until finally I saw my oil filter was dented on one side due to hitting the lateral bolt so I said wow this is weird and i also noticed my engine was tweaked on one side so I started to look at the motor mounts underneath and noticed that the 3 bolts that held the mount to the engine was gone not broke or stripped (even though its unlikely) but gone. I'm thinking it was a bunch of inbred, half-witted numbnut kids thinking it was funny. :flamemad:

We had some neighborhood kids thought that taking all 5 lugs off my sons Tj would be a good 'joke', the DS rear wheel came off on my daughter 3 miles down the road while she was running for pizza. If it had happened a 100ft futher on she would have hit a bridge abutment. She took his TJ because it was not blocked in by the others in the driveway. Turns out that they did several other cars in the development that nite and over the next week or so..

a friend of mine had that happen and thought the bolts had come out.
He went to the dealer and got 3 new ones, but when he went to put them in, they wouldnt go.
I stop by after school to give him a hand, and i fingered out that the bolts had broken off inside the block and not just fell out.
2 weekends later we had his junk back on the road

Don't listen to them. Someone probably thought it would be funny to crawl around under your Jeep in the dark and ignore all the other things they could loosen and undo your, out of the way, hard to get to, motor mount bolts. Happened to me once.

Not the first time that I heard of this happening. Quite possible for them to have loosened up or broke off. I found that the more miles you put on one of these puppies, the more you have to keep an eye out for bolts and screws backing off. Pretty hard for someone to crawl under your Jeep and spend all the time it would take to do this with out being seen or heard.

dizzymac said:
Not the first time that I heard of this happening. Quite possible for them to have loosened up or broke off. I found that the more miles you put on one of these puppies, the more you have to keep an eye out for bolts and screws backing off. Pretty hard for someone to crawl under your Jeep and spend all the time it would take to do this with out being seen or heard.
Especially since it takes lots of screaming and cursing to get it done.

Anybody feeling kinda jumpy, can come on by and remove my engine mounts!!

I replaced mine on a older jeep I had and they were a royal pain. Now I am reclaiming a 92 cherokee and the mounts probably need to be changed......so come on by!!

Well I decided to look again a little closer this time, well lets just say I would've wished it was a cruel joke bacause i found the other half of the bolts still inside the block, not good. Well looks like i'm gonna have to do some heavy drilling. I think its like you guys said, attributed to mileage since i got like 189,000 miles on it been through a couple of accidents one is where i rearended some guy going about 35 mph and after awhile later I accidently ran over a young deer going about 50 so i'm guessing they probably weakened over time.
*sigh* well once this is done the other side getting some new bolts.

jjvande said:
so is it a good idea to just replace these bolts if you have a high mileage XJ?

I dont want mine to break!:wierd:
if your paranoid and a freek

Sarcasim from here down:
might as well go through the whole vehicle and tighten and replace EVERY SINGLE BOLT with a grade 8. Thats what i did, and i havent had any problems....
and it only cost about 1000.00 for the hardware!

Okie Terry said:
Don't listen to them. Someone probably thought it would be funny to crawl around under your Jeep in the dark and ignore all the other things they could loosen and undo your, out of the way, hard to get to, motor mount bolts. Happened to me once.
:worship: :roflmao:

For future reference:
THREADLOCK.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Terry

:worship: :roflmao:

I'm guessing not everybody read all the posts, because like sarge said threadlocker will not prevent bolts from snapping, I myself would think it a good idea to replace some bolts that subject to a lot of torque, because the engines I rebuilt do not use orginal bolts and beleive it or not they do stretch over time so I buy new ones and I'm gonna do the same thing to my stroker once I get that built, trust me drilling bolts is not fun its even worse when every once in awhile the drill bit snaps I'm a little better at preventing it now

Last edited:
RichP said:
We had some neighborhood kids thought that taking all 5 lugs off my sons Tj would be a good 'joke', the DS rear wheel came off on my daughter 3 miles down the road while she was running for pizza. If it had happened a 100ft futher on she would have hit a bridge abutment. She took his TJ because it was not blocked in by the others in the driveway. Turns out that they did several other cars in the development that nite and over the next week or so..

y'all have locking lugnuts? :dunno:

collegeoffroad said:
y'all have locking lugnuts? :dunno:

Yup, the locking lug was taken off too...

Locking lug nuts are BS, I was in AA getting new 1/2-20's for the TJ when I noticed they sell the 'locking lug nut removal kit' right next to the locking lug nut kits....with instructions on how to obtain Mercedes, BMW and Bently removal keys from the dealers....

Back