• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing/Exoskeleton

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I want to make an exoskeleton for my jeep eventually and im starting to look for information about them, like, how tubing is rated. i really dont know much yet, but i was hoping someone here could help me out. How is tubing rated? wall thickness and diamiter i would guess and what does cold rolled steel mean? i know its stronger but what makes it stronger? Also, what would you suggest i use for a exoskeleton. Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-Tim

I did 2in OD 120 HREW (normal mild steel, welded seam). It looks nice, and is strong but 2in OD 120 dents easier then 1.75 or 1.5in tube.

1.5in is a must for internal cages.

So 1.5 or 1.75 are probibly your best options, 120 wall (1/8in).

HREW is not pipe and alot cheaper then DOM.

have fun.

What are all the abreviations and numbers? i think i understand some of it but u gueww what Im looking for someone to go over the basics i really dont know anything about different wall thicknesses and types of tubing and how it is measured. Also, just curious, how many feet to tubing do you think it takes to make an exoskeleton?

search.gif
NAXJA, pirate4x4.com, and google. There's a ton of info out there.
Billy

Back