• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hood Vents

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
Think of putting a couple vents in the XJ. Anybody running vents? Any comments pro or cons, and any pictures. What makes a good vent.
Thank

I put LeBarron vents on my '89. It definitely helps keep the engine temp down, a plus with the old closed-style system. The only real con is that one vent is directly over the distributor, and in HEAVY rain I'll have trouble starting the next day (happened once in two years, and, well, there ARE fixes for this.)

The LeBarron vents are fairly large and with the hood bracing there's only one position they'll fit without cutting into the brace. I've heard of people using the Datsun 280 ZX vents (hell, you can use 5.9 Grand vents). Remember, the purpose is to push the hot air out of the engine compartment. To that end I think it's probably better to install them in the rear of the hood to get better airflow.

Hood vents are a great addition. I run the early model New Yorker/Lebaron vents. picked them up at a pull and save for 5 bucks a piece if I remember correctly.

I soon will be cutting holes in my '00XJ's perfectly good hood to install a pair of Grand Prix hood vents. Been meaning to do this mod for over a year now.

247924_91_full.jpg

other models to use as a source for vents. I haven't seen anyone use them but early 1990's Z34 chevy lumina coupes hade some nice angular looking vents that i think would go nicely on an XJ hood. Also i noticed a large vent on a Dodge Omni GLH it was driving though so i couldn't check to see if it was a funtional vent or not.

I used CJ cowl vents, 2 of em on my 91, worked great for july trails, and I kept it jeep. Sorry, no pics as I sold that Jeep.

I put a set of the 94-96 Grand Prix hood vents in my 91 over the summer. I didn't notice any drop in the guage reading, but you can feel the heat coming out of the vents a long time after you stop and turn the motor off. I was able to position these smaller vents in a place so as not to be over any electrical components and so far have had no problems with them. My website has a little tech about how i did it and a link to a really good site on how to install them.

xj-fx said:
Think of putting a couple vents in the XJ. Anybody running vents? Any comments pro or cons, and any pictures. What makes a good vent.
Thank

I searched and stole all the best ideas at the time and took plenty of pics. thanks to everyone I copied.

http://www.kofira.com/jeep/Hood Vents/index.html

-P

I've got a set of 280 ZX Datsun hood vents for sale. If anyone is interested for $30+shipping. I have Lebaron hood vents on my 91' XJ and love them, you can see the heat rising out of them on the trail or in traffic when stopped or going slow. Looks cool and keeps things cool. I haven't had any bad effects from water getting on my motor eventhough Cali has seen lots of rain lately. I don't daily drive my xj either, but it has always started for me.
Troy

There is one specificaly designed for the XJ, but I went through all my links, and haven't been able to find it. The way it works is, it's one piece that fits into the indent recess off the hood, going the hoods length, and going out into a T shape, if I remember correctly. It works by drilling circles into the hood, to match, venting the hot air up into it, and out across the windsheild, which in winter supposedly is great for defrosting the front window. As well, there is no issues with water getting into anything on the engine. If I can find thie link again, I'll post it.

I was going to buy some vents out of a wreckage yard but all of the local yards consider everything they have as gold plated so I decided to go very cheap. I made them small enough that if it didn't work out I could always buy some labaron vents later, cut out my home made louvers and cover up the holes with the labaron units.
My hood vent album
I just used pliars and a screw driver to bend the louvers in the hood after I used the cut-off disk to make the slots.
I did notice a 5-10 deg drop in temp when it was 100+ out and it now takes me 5 more miles to get warm air out of the heater on the way into work.

GroversXJ said:
I was going to buy some vents out of a wreckage yard but all of the local yards consider everything they have as gold plated so I decided to go very cheap. I made them small enough that if it didn't work out I could always buy some labaron vents later, cut out my home made louvers and cover up the holes with the labaron units.
My hood vent album
I just used pliars and a screw driver to bend the louvers in the hood after I used the cut-off disk to make the slots.
I did notice a 5-10 deg drop in temp when it was 100+ out and it now takes me 5 more miles to get warm air out of the heater on the way into work.

Where are you at in Cali? I got 18 pairs for about $5 pair here in Northern Cali (Sac area) and Oakland. The Lebaron hood vents are very nice and easy to install.
Troy

I'm out in the middle of the desert :sunshine: (Ridgecrest) and the nearest larger cities are 1.5 to 2 hours away (Bakersfield, Lancaster, Victorville). I checked a couple places locally and the cheapest was ~$35 for a pair. I probably could have checked with other places had them shipped to me and I probably would have if I didn't like how my home made louvers turned out but I think they look pretty good for free.

Big Red said:
Where are you at in Cali? I got 18 pairs for about $5 pair here in Northern Cali (Sac area) and Oakland. The Lebaron hood vents are very nice and easy to install.
Troy

Hey Troy, I live in a remote area and trips to "town" are far and few between, not to mention limited availability of salvage yards. Would you be up to selling me a pair of vents?
Marty

I have a 90 XJ and purchased two fiberglass cowl induction bolt on hood scoops for like $100, (make sure they're bolt on and not held on with tape).

Then I marked out on the hood where they would fit and made four 4" cut outs under each scoop and built up the area around each of the cut outs with 1/4" of fiberglass to direct water away from the openings, (this is also an advantage to using bolt on scoops as they let any water that gets in to drain out).

These work great, dropped my off-road temps by 40F and as I live in AZ it's a must for me.

ADVNTURR said:
I put a set of the 94-96 Grand Prix hood vents in my 91 over the summer. I didn't notice any drop in the guage reading, but you can feel the heat coming out of the vents a long time after you stop and turn the motor off. I was able to position these smaller vents in a place so as not to be over any electrical components and so far have had no problems with them. My website has a little tech about how i did it and a link to a really good site on how to install them.

ADVNTURR - Did you get the drip pans too? I did. Hopefully soon, I'll get around to the install. Also, how did the jigsaw do for cutting the holes? I'm still tossing around which tool to use.

Sterling90XJ said:
ADVNTURR - Did you get the drip pans too? I did. Hopefully soon, I'll get around to the install. Also, how did the jigsaw do for cutting the holes? I'm still tossing around which tool to use.

I'd suggest using a dremel with the fibreglass cutoff wheels. I do computer case modding, and is all I use. Works great and easy to use.

ROKTAXI said:
Hey Troy, I live in a remote area and trips to "town" are far and few between, not to mention limited availability of salvage yards. Would you be up to selling me a pair of vents?
Marty

I'm all sold out on the Lebaron vents. They sold like hot cakes. :) I still do have a pair of Datsun 280 zx vents and also a single Lebaron style vent that is a tad bigger than 1 of the vents in the pair. I could sell you either of these. Let me know. I can sell them for a decent price if U want them.
Troy

Back