• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower fuse keeps blowing out

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Quick quesition here: My blower fuse keeps blowing out (they last about 5 min) Gone through about 5 of 'em. I've read all the blower posts on here. MC not leaking, fuse panel looks clean and dry. Where should I look for the problem next? Its cold out here! Thank for any tips- TJ

Actually it would be a low resistance in the motor (most likely caused by a shorted winding), but your problem will be in the motor. Only a motor or a short can cause too much current to be pulled. Since it runs for a while, it most likely isn't a short. If you run it on any speed other than high, you probably won't blow the fuse because on every speed other than high the current is limited by the blower motor resistor pack. That is what slows the speed. for now just lower the setting, that way you can probably limp through untill it warms up a bit. Make sure and listen that the motor is actually turning and not slowing down. If it stops, it can burn up the resistor pack.

It isn't all that hard to change. You do it from under the hood. IIRC there are three screws that hold it in. If you can get the other crap out of the way, it is fast.

Thanks for the info. When you say "it isnt all that hard to change" are you talking about the blower motor or the resistor pack? I assume the blower motor. Also, you say don't turn it on high until it warms up- after it warms up a bit I could turn up to high? THats seems odd to me...? -TJ

From under the hood in the right firewall unplug the blower motor and put a new fuse in, then turn on the switch to see if it still blows the fuse in 10 min. Although by your description it sounds like a blower vs. a wiring short. There are a few areas where you could have problems. The blower switch and connector can melt causing high resistance usually caused by running the blower motor on high for extended periods.

Last edited:
truckeejeeper said:
Thanks for the info. When you say "it isnt all that hard to change" are you talking about the blower motor or the resistor pack? I assume the blower motor. Also, you say don't turn it on high until it warms up- after it warms up a bit I could turn up to high? THats seems odd to me...? -TJ

He said don't turn it up high for now, that this may let you get thru until the weather warms up and you can fix it.

Sarge

Back