• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny probs.

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
My transmission started shifting abnormally and check engine light came on.Pull a PO700-trans. control malfunction and a PO753-shift solenoid A codes.Any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it??Any help would be appreciated.Its a 97 AW4.
Thanks,
Jeff

I think it was the PCM but not sure.I had the guy at Autozone plug in their code reader.There's only one plug down under there that I can see.Its right by the hood release mounted to the bottom of the dash if that helps(best description I can give).The symptoms are: check engine light comes on,
shifts from 1st to 2nd too late,2nd to 3rd too soon and very hard,and will not shift from 3rd to 4th.I initially thought it was the TPS but now am wondering if the valve body is messed up.Thanks.
Jeff

Last edited:
If the codes are correct, you may just have a bad solenoid. Then again, you may have a bad TCU . . . or, as you say, a clogged valvebody which, I guess, would eventually cause the computer to throw codes. You'll have to drop the pan & filter, clean it, & take a look.

There's an AW4 service manual available online at: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/index.html

(scroll down to the "Transmission" section, left click on the link & choose 'save target as') it is a .pdf file & takes a while to download, but will help you diagnose & repair the tranny.

You really need to have a full function scan tool to pull the codes from the TCM. You need these codes to track down the problem.

Back