• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removal of Front leaky Vent window to one piece

Frank G

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I just bought two used: one piece non- opening front door quater windows for my 86 XJ. I am sick of the puddle on the floor after it rains from the always leaking vent windows. I think they have leaked since the Wagoneer limited was the XJ of choice ;)

How involved is it to swap out the opening style to the one piece Glass style?

I have no knowledege of Automotive Glass, however it does not look that involved.

I remember reading about the swap back on the Tom Cerney's XJ.Jeep.org Site but that was years ago.

It pretty simple. You will need some of those interior trim removal tools to remove the window crank. You then take out the two screws for the door handle then let it pivot to the 6 o'clock position them pull the handle off.

Next you will use a trim tool to pull the plastic studs out of the door, be careful you can rip the studs out of the interior trim panel if not careful. Then loosen the screws for the door handle, think there are 3 and let it hang loose. Now lift on the door and turn the trim panel 90 degrees and slide the door handle assy through the door.

Now you should see the interior water dam. I will say if you are doing this much work it would be smart money to change the radio speakers. Make sure you get the harness adaptors so you don't butcher the factory harness.

Now you will have to remove the two screws at the top of the triangle window, you will find these. You then will have to slit the water dam and remove the lower bolt for the assy. Now lower the window with the crank if you have not already and pull towar the rear of the vehicle, the window should rotate back and then you pull it out.

To install is the reverse procedure but make sure you get the gasket that goes to the inside of the vehicle laying correctly. Also to install the door panel hang it on the removable interior window wiper and the push it to the front. It takes a little skill to get the interior panel on the metal clip attached to the door and under the control for the rear view mirror. Then reattach.

I have said this before but it would be the perfect time to replace the seal the runs along the top and rear channel of the crank window, they were not expensive at the dealer, about $12 each if i recall.

HTH

Martin

Back