• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for bolt on performance ideas

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to start buying some easy to install over the counter performance parts for my 88 xj with 4.0. I already have a set of five-o injectors on the way, and I've already installed a K&N air filter. Does anyone have some easy ideas for performace. Maybe exhaust, headers, chips,? anything.

yeah thats true i didnt notice that you lived in cali all they have in pa is visual Its a good upgrade for anyone outside of cali If it is legal for you I would go with a header, catback, highflow cat and an intake. dont forget about NOS lol the only chips ive seen are for 91 and up

chips on natural aspirated gasoline engines dont allow for much gain.

bored TB and possibly a spacer, from my experience TB spacers dont let you gain that much so only do this if you find one cheap (or can make one)

make airflow as free as possible, maybe ditch the factory airbox and install a FIPK, header, smoothly bend exhaust tube (i am running 2.25" that is just personal preference) and a high flow cat/muffler would help.

maybe ditch the manual fan and replace it with an electric fan? it should free up a little power.

take the iat sensor off the intake manifold and relocate it to the air intake tube (so it reads cooler air in the intake)

make sure the engine is running properly, keep spark plug gap correct, check o2 sensor.
the 4.0 has plenty of power you just need to find ways to free it up :D

jephs422 said:
I'd like to start buying some easy to install over the counter performance parts for my 88 xj with 4.0. I already have a set of five-o injectors on the way, and I've already installed a K&N air filter. Does anyone have some easy ideas for performace. Maybe exhaust, headers, chips,? anything.

I did all those things, and for the last 6 months I've been running my Jeep on stroker power. Go to my sites to get some ideas.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Back