• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

super 35

honda12

NAXJA Forum User
ive done alot of searching and im still not clear if the super 35 upgrade is worth the money.some say yes others no.i dont really want to swap for a d44 right now so whats the best set up for a d35. i plan on regearing and adding a locker all at once i just want to be on the safe side and make it as strong as i can i dont like the idea of a truss because of ground clearence i only run 31s.

was that ment in sarcasim or im i mistaken i thought there is a axle upgrade for them. its a 88xj d30 front d35 rear right?

thanks guys sounds like a d44 is worth waiting for. ive checked the local bone yards in my area and ive never seen a new enough xj to rob a axle from. maybe ill check into a dismantling outfit. any suggestions? also is a d44 a direct bolt on other than the yoke what about the spring mounts and brake lines ect.

honda12 said:
also is a d44 a direct bolt on other than the yoke what about the spring mounts and brake lines ect.

Yes if its an XJ 44, also think about upgrading the axels to something like superiors, as well as gears, install kit, paying someone to do the work if you dont do gears, and a locker.It can add up fast.

honda12 said:
thanks guys sounds like a d44 is worth waiting for. ive checked the local bone yards in my area and ive never seen a new enough xj to rob a axle from. maybe ill check into a dismantling outfit. any suggestions? also is a d44 a direct bolt on other than the yoke what about the spring mounts and brake lines ect.
If it is a XJ dana 44 then yes, it is a direct bolt in. Some MJs have dana 44s but they are spring under, so you would have to switch that. GOod luck finding a XJ 44, they are very rare in boneyards.

honda12 said:

What do you mean by new enough to pull one from? They are from the 87-88 years, I wouldn't call that new.

Watch the for sale forums here, post a wanted ad as well. Even ebay works. Around here they tend to run $350-$500 but are scarce. Shipping by Forward Air can run under $200. A stock D44 is a ton stronger than a D35. You can always upgrade axles when you get more $$$. I got mine from a guy. He pulled the axles, brakes and pumpkin and shipped the housing in one box and the rest in another box. Both came by UPS.

My turn on the box...
whats wrong with a D35 and 31" tires? $1000 for a super 35 kit, not even with gears and install kit will you spend that much on a super 35 kit. or an ARB super35 kit.
what are you gonna spend on the dana 44? $400 for the housing... Detroit, almost $500, gears, master install kit? labor to install gears? cut and weld spring perches? installing it into your jeep?
THe super 35 is perfectly ok for tires up to 33", what do the parts cost? labor to setup gears and locker?
do the math
a D44 or even an 8.8 has its obvious advantages over the M35, but for the given application, the super 35 is the ideal setup.
and its not that hard to find a D44, you just have to be patient. 8.8's are even easier to find.

honda12 said:

Keep looking. There were two in one of the Fresno Yards but they were crushed before my buddy Mike was able to get them. They seem to be popping up more and on half off day you can get one for less than $100. Ortherwise you can also consider an 8.8 or Toyota axle.

Rawbrown said:
My turn on the box...
whats wrong with a D35 and 31" tires? $1000 for a super 35 kit, not even with gears and install kit will you spend that much on a super 35 kit. or an ARB super35 kit.
what are you gonna spend on the dana 44? $400 for the housing... Detroit, almost $500, gears, master install kit? labor to install gears? cut and weld spring perches? installing it into your jeep?
THe super 35 is perfectly ok for tires up to 33", what do the parts cost? labor to setup gears and locker?
do the math
a D44 or even an 8.8 has its obvious advantages over the M35, but for the given application, the super 35 is the ideal setup.
and its not that hard to find a D44, you just have to be patient. 8.8's are even easier to find.

You are a confused individual.

hjeepxj said:

I hammered the snot out of my stock 35 when I had 31x10.50's in the rocks of the mojave without nary a scathe.I think certainly a super 35 would be perfect for 31's.I super 35'ed mine when I wasn't hip to swapping in 44's, 8.8's, etc.At that time I only new about Curries stuff which was 4 times the 780.00 I spent on the Super Detroit kit.I've since been running 33's with that same Super kit and haven't had one problem in the desert rocks.Now granted I'm not doing Johnson Valley, Sledge hammer, Wrecking ball, etc. with the Big Dogs, but after seeing Porchpuppy's album doing those same trails with the Big Dogs on his trussed Super 35, I have since trussed mine and plan on trying some of those trails this spring on my new MTR's.I don't think Ryan's confused one bit :twak:

If you're going to wait.. Might just go ahead and wait till you can afford a pair of Rockwells... :wierd:

even though my wife would agree with you on day to day issue's...
besides those that have ever broken a stock 35 shaft, the only people I hear screemin bad voodoo with a 35 are the guys not running them. Nope, I'm not confused at all even though I would loose my head if it wasn't attached 18" up from my @$$. but I do know drivetrain.
hjeepxj said:

well... I will say for *my* money I am doing the 8.8 swap..... They can be had around here for $400.00 with disc breaks, 4.10 gears, and a pretty good traclock differential.... you figure about another $250.00 and you have a fully locked and geared axle for $650.00.....

Just what I am thinking..... when I grab this I am planning on grabbing the whole front axle from under a 4 cylinder TJ.... build them on the workbench and swap them in the truck.....

one of the guys around here just did an 8.8 and was able to retain the stock driveshaft....

just some thoughts guys

with all this said what is the down fall of the d35 what breaks and how much torcher does i take to break it.if any one is familiar with the siera nevada's i do such trails as swamp lake,dusy ershim,coyote lake ect.will it hold up to that.

mississippi_xj said:
well... I will say for *my* money I am doing the 8.8 swap..... They can be had around here for $400.00 with disc breaks, 4.10 gears, and a pretty good traclock differential.... you figure about another $250.00 and you have a fully locked and geared axle for $650.00.....

Just what I am thinking..... when I grab this I am planning on grabbing the whole front axle from under a 4 cylinder TJ.... build them on the workbench and swap them in the truck.....

one of the guys around here just did an 8.8 and was able to retain the stock driveshaft....

just some thoughts guys
Why would you swap your D30 forr a 4 cylinder TJ axle?? (other than the 4:10's)

Back