• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machinists, I have a ?

Ron S

NAXJA Forum User
Can you machine 35 splines out of a 30 spline spool. It looks to be plenty of meat to do it. I would rather not buy a new spool if I could reuse mine. By the way , this is a Dana 60 full Strange spool.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Chill,
RonS

You want to cut the 30 internal splines of your spool into 35? I don't think you can. I'm a machinist but I don't work with splines much anymore so I could be wrong but in order to do what I think your talking about you would have to bore out the center hole where you splines are now and then cut new splines which would be a bigger id than you have now. Or weld up the current splines, rebore the center hole back to factory specs, then cut your new splines. I think you would be better off trying to find someone to trade with. Plus you might have a hard time finding someone to broach internal splines. I live in ashland KY and the closest I found to me was a place in Cinncinati.

Creative, very creative! I'm impressed and of course it sparked many ideas. Damn now I won't sleep tonight.
Thanks for nothin' Okie! :laugh3:
Vegeta thanks for the insight.
Anyone else?

Chill,
RonS

Very few machinists will have a broach of the correct size to handle the internal splines even if there is enough meat in there to do it. Welding is not a good idea. Too many stress issues with the welded area.

You will be way ahead to sell the old spool and buy a new one.

Yup - you can broach it - but as said before your $/part ratio will be high and not many shops would take on the job - the local gear shop here in seattle would problably do it - but get the lube ready...

My 2ct's - buy the correct unit and sell the undamaged one on ebay...

Matt

There has to be a gear shop near you. Go ask, it can't hurt. I could do it on the wire edm, but it would cost the same to go buy a new one.

OneTonXJ said:
There has to be a gear shop near you. Go ask, it can't hurt. I could do it on the wire edm, but it would cost the same to go buy a new one.

Sean -

Good point! I forgot about EDM - a sinker die made up would work too - but the cost to make the dies would cubic$'s

Matt

Back