• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shim question...probably simple

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...Im waiting for my SYE and shaft to come in. Even then Ill have to wait til I can install it. So I want to try some axle shims, just so I can alteast drive the jeep. I have a 94, and did the RE 4.5" kit with full leafs. Here is my question. I need to use a spacer on the leaf spring center pin correct? There were some on there, but we removed them since I didnt think I would need shims. I got the spacers covered...but what I dont get is after I install the shim, how will the pin go back into the axle? Wont it be at an angle? I mean, that pin fits pretty snug as it is... How far down through the shim should the pin go? Any info on shimming is welcomed. I searched...and Im sure I could go out and figure it out, but I thought I would ask first. Thanks in advance for any help!

Justin

you don't need to put that aluminum spacer back on the center pin. just pull the pin, put the shims onto the pin in the orientation needed, and bolt it back in the spring pack. put the fat part of the shim in front if you need to rotate the pinion down, or put the fat part of the shim towards the back if you need to rotate the pinion up. don't worry about the angle of the pin. just bolt the leaf pack back to the axle and all will be well. HTH.

Thanks man. Thats pretty much how I figured it would go. I really hope this plus new u-joints atleast makes it drivable. I havent even mounted my tires and wheels yet. Just want it to drive first. Im out in the 30 degree weather tryin the shims right now...wish me luck.

Justin

the spacer in the centering bolt is for a floating shim. anyway, if you dont have a tc drop or larger shackles, then you really dont need a shim to start with because the axle needs to stay the same angle with the t-case, if you put a tc drop and a longer shackle in, they will probably work together perfectly without changing anything. only installing shackles, you might want to shim the pinion down a degree or two. I installed a sye kit and re 4.5" springs with longer shackles (which is like 6" real world) and put a 4 degree shim in. I get a slight vibe under high speed full acceleration but is tolerable. hope this helps

Back