• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning engine bay - TPS location?

neal60thXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Just got a 60th anniversary 2001 Cherokee. Very pleased with it so far. Question about cleaning the engine compartment:

I know from my other vehicles when hosing down the engine to cover electrical components and brake master cylinder, but I keep seeing posts here about fouling the throttle position sensor when cleaning. So I want to cover that too, but I'm new to Jeep's and not sure where on the engine this is located. Could someone provide a detailed description (or even a picture!) where to look? Thanks!

By the way, it is a 4.0L, automatic.

Neal.

Ok, standing in front looking under the hood you willl see the air hose coming from the box your air filter is in. That hose goes onto the throttle body. Directly below on the front side of the throttle body, (where that hose connects) is the IAC(idle air controller) on the left and TPS(throttle position sensor) on the right. The TPS has an external lever or positioning thing that another lever off the the front of the throttle body goes up and down with during acceleration.

Not sure on how to protect them, i guess you could put a rag or something over that part when washing and be careful. I was always paranoid about washing engine compartments so i would do it with the vehicle running and stay away from the throttle body area.

Cory

Wash cold engine...
cover Throttlebody and TPS/IAC and distributor with plastic...

I killed a TPS by doing exactly that...

Washing the engine compartment without covering the electronics...

:twak:

Gil BullyKatz said:
Wash cold engine...
cover Throttlebody and TPS/IAC and distributor with plastic...

I killed a TPS by doing exactly that...

Washing the engine compartment without covering the electronics...

:twak:

the same... thought i had thrown a rod the endine was bucking so bad...

csr_011 said:
Ok, standing in front looking under the hood you willl see the air hose coming from the box your air filter is in. That hose goes onto the throttle body. Directly below on the front side of the throttle body, (where that hose connects) is the IAC(idle air controller) on the left and TPS(throttle position sensor) on the right. The TPS has an external lever or positioning thing that another lever off the the front of the throttle body goes up and down with during acceleration.

Not sure on how to protect them, i guess you could put a rag or something over that part when washing and be careful. I was always paranoid about washing engine compartments so i would do it with the vehicle running and stay away from the throttle body area.

Cory

Thanks, that's what I am looking for.

Neal.

Back