• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers in D30's

xjrockrawler21

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about getting a locker for the front of my D30. It is a 96 D30 so i cannot get the posi-lock and i dont have manual locking hubs. My question is how a Lockright or No Slip would perform with auto locking hubs on and off the trail. If anyone is running this do they unlock when making a tight turn on the trail. and how do they perform on the street in 2wd. i hear it will pull and you get vibrations in 2wd. My XJ is still my daily driver for about another year or so.
Thanks
Ben

I run a Lockright in the my front 30, in 2 wd. I hardly notice it, in 4WD, it is makes itself known.... I quite like it. It's not my DD tho...

I have an 88 with lunch box type. Aussies. Just like Lock rights. Mine has a vacuum disconnect so you can't even tell they are there in 2 wheel drive. I hear from the other guys with newer models that they only click once in awhile in 2 wheels drives. I have a Aussie locker install page , here is a link. The dis-connect part is the part you would leave out. Pretty easy install except for the hubs. Yours will probably be easier. My rig is an 88. 8 more years of rust. I'd do the install. I sent a link to a trail video of mine working. There awesome. Mine is my Daily Driver too.

Install
Trail Video

Last edited:
I run the Lockright in my TJ, was a DD for @70K miles, now more toy. In 2wd the only hint you'll ever get that its there is during fast u-turn type manuevers. If someone didn't know it was there, they probably would never guess. In 4wd, it creates very strong pull in the strg. Any difference in traction will be very obvious. This isn't real noticeable in low range at low speeds, but not very suitable for high speed on road driving. In my TJ, the short wheelbase weight transfer seems to allow 2wd no matter what the conditions(snow/ice). On my XJ, even w/ a Lockright in the rr. the traction was not great on ice in 2wd. So if you can live w/ 2wd operation on the street, you should be fine. Never heard of any auto locking hubs on or for XJ's,

No problem, just didn't know if I understood your ??. For reference, they're unit brg. hubs on your Jeep. The brg. and wheel flange are integral.

Brian

I have a no-slip in my non-disco 30. Completely 100% invisible on the street. On the trail I get more feedback at the steering wheel on tight turns, but the actual radius of the turn is the same (at least for me) as when I had it open. The no slip is super super smooth. I really wish I had one in the rear axle.

I was wondering how the lock rite is in 4wd in tight turns etc. I'm moving up to a hp44 with a lock rite from my hp30 with an arb. I really love the arb because I only use it when I need in and otherwise I keep it off. With it on, it is very hard to turn. I hear that the 44 will be a bit easier to steer with the better steering setup it has over the 30 with stock steering 35's and 8" lift. I know the arb when locked acts like a spool with no diff between either wheel, while the lock rite will allow some diff between the wheels in a turn.

SEARCH A LITTLE: i also have an aussie up front and it is totaly invisible on the road when in 2wd when in 4wd it is very noticible on the road. in the snow they fight u on turns and are not too friendly on the trial i would never get thru many places without it and i love mine for that reason it pulls me over many things guys with a rear only don't come close to. turning is hurt a little but there is always reverse.

here is what the search feture will do for ya.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42911&highlight=aussie+front
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39933&highlight=aussie+front
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38738&highlight=aussie+front
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39099&highlight=aussie+front

I have an aussie in my front 30 and it works great. The steering thing is really no big deal If I come to a tight turn on the trail and feel the steering wheel get real tight ( which is VERY rare) I just pop it in Neutral turn the wheel and then put it back in gear and all is good. As far as snow and ice, I just got back from the mountains here and the highway was covered in ice and snow. In high 4 with just the front locked I found no problems on turns, if you are off the gas the locker releases and worked great. I accually barely heard the clicking of the locker in the turns so I knew it was working perfect. I had no push, no pull, no nothing and never once slid or lost traction. Best $200.00 I ever spent.

I run a full Detroit in mine with no problems. In 2wd you cant even tell it is there. No 4wd on snow and ice is a different story, nothing major you just have to adjust your driving style.

Re: Lockers in D30's LOCKRIGHT STORY

Last night I gutted out front diff with broken LockRight as well as front lockout hubs. New hubs are in place, but I had to loose locker because all 4 dowel pins beetween couplers had broken making disengegment impossible(wedged beetween couplers).
So up until I got some $$ for TrueTrac Front D30 is WIDE OPEN.
So get LSD and LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :worship:

Well in snow and Ice I can say with the aussie up front I was the guy pulling everyone out of the holes they dug for themselves this hunting season. A two ton dually with 6 wheel drive and every kinda spendy gadget you can get. I dropped mine over the bank in a foot of snow so it didn't pull my XJ into him and winched his huge truck right out out of the low side of a switch back. Then got in mine where everyone thought I was screwed because I was hanging off the side of the road and in a huge rutt. Dropped it in 4LO, screamed right out shooting snow ice and mud about 20 feet in the air from all fours. Little ole XJ to the rescue.
It was awesome. I was a proud XJ man that day. They are Great in the snow and ice off road. On pavement I just keep mine in 2 wheel drive. I have a trac-loc so I get pretty good rear traction. Sipe your next set of tires if you haven't already.

What do you guys think about this setup:
4.10 gears
Front TrueTrac
Rear No-Slip

Most offroading consists of old fireroads and hillclimbs, but with the occasional mud pit and rock ledge. Jeep is daily driven with 242. I like to use full time in heavy rain and snow. I'm sure having the front locked and in full time 4x4 wouldnt be a problem, but the LSD will be more forgiving.

The only thing I'm concerned with is not getting the traction I want out of the TrueTrac. How do these things perform? Detroit says they give between 2.5:1 to 3.5:1 torque bias. How is this compared to a full locker?

Nihil said:
What do you guys think about this setup:
4.10 gears
Front TrueTrac
Rear No-Slip]

That's what I've been running for the last few years, except a detroit in the rear, w/ 5spd, & 231 w 32x11.5 BFG Mud's. The True-Trac, works great. To get it to lock up, if a tire starts to spin, just give it a little brake. Unless you are doing alot of 1 wheel ups, the True-Trac will be great for you, especially if you have full time 4x4, plus limit the front end damadge, as it will give, instead of bind & break. I'm switching to a Full detroit up front, because I picked it up for a good price, & have 2low, & am doing more rocks & 1 wheel ups. I usally forget to drag the brakes when I start to spin, but the True-trac has taken me everywhere I've wanted to go, w/ no handling quirks. I'll probably hold on to my True-Trac, Just in case it works out better for me, breakage,handling ect..

Rob

Last edited:
Rob

A question about the TrueTrac. Once you tap the brake pedal to stop the spinning, do you stay on the brake or once it locks up, does it stays that way?

Having a TrueTrac in the front and selectable locker in the rear seems to be the best combo for a DD that gets played with on vacations and weekends.
The TrueTrac is reported to have better manners in snow and ice when compared to auto lockers. The wife will drive it occasionally so I want to avoid funny handling characteristics. Maybe TrueTracs front and rear would work well...hummmm.

Larry

I suggest a truetrac in the front and an automatic locker in the rear such as a detroit or no-slip. rear TT's tend to be a bit loose while the front D30 TT has some preload/bias to help it lock up better. From what I hear since i don't have any snow/ice here in Socal, Detroits can be managable in the snow

lazyxj said:
Rob

A question about the TrueTrac. Once you tap the brake pedal to stop the spinning, do you stay on the brake or once it locks up, does it stays that way?
Larry

You just need to apply slight brake pressure, until the power transfers to the wheel with traction. Shouldn't be to hard w/ an auto :) . A little tricky w/ a stick unless you have a hand throttle. From the wheeling style you described, I can't see you ever being disapointed w/ a True-Trac, in the front. I did the Dusey, w/ no problems with it & a Detroit in the rear. Like Rawbrown said, the design is different for the Dana30, than the rear models. They use a 3 pinon design resulting in better torque biasing.

Rob

The brake pedal trick will help even with an open diff (to a degree).

Back