• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre 91 7 way trailer harness

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Do the pre-91 xj's, mj's come from the factory with a 7 way trailer harness? Wiring up the lights for the new car hauler and need to hook up for the brakes, etc.
TIA,
Dustin

LT1XJ said:
Do the pre-91 xj's, mj's come from the factory with a 7 way trailer harness? Wiring up the lights for the new car hauler and need to hook up for the brakes, etc.
TIA,
Dustin

i had an 87 with the factory towing pkg..... it had a harness stuffed up inside the panel on the drivers side that i only found when i stripped the rig... was an integral part of the tail light harness....

Not all pre-91 XJs had tow wiring. I bought my 88 with a tow hitch and it came with the wiring, but the wiring is for a 5-wire connection, not a 7-wire. There's no provision for brakes, just lights.

The pre-91 factory harness, BTW, is no longer available from Chrysler, so don't even bother calling a dealer.

Well, thanks for the answers even if they were not what I was hoping for. I guess I will be purchasing a trailer brake controller and some wire.
Thanks,
Dustin

Back