• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Self Tappers

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I will be building some rock sliders and putting them on when I do the lift. They will bolt to the pinch seam and then go one back to the "Frame". I want to attach them there with self tapping bolts, but I can't find them anywhere. At least no one I ask knows what I'm talking about. THey all show me self tapping screws.

Since I'm on my own... if I see some, what do they look like? Anyone have a pic? I have seen some that are about 1/4" and pointed, but the threads look too fine to be a tapper. Does the tip have anything special on it to make it dig?

I could always hole saw into the back of the frame and use a bolt and nut, but that isn't my first choice.

self tapping just has little cut outs on the beginning of the threads. As the threads get larger it acts as a little drill in a sense first making little threaded cuts then larger until its the size of the actual bolt threads. They have lots of these at my local ace hardware. Home depot may carry some but they suck when it comes to organization and know how so best of luck wasting time there.

http://homepage.mac.com/rv6a/Images/SteerBrace/Brace12.jpg

Back