• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.4 swap question

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
I know you need to use the 2.8 flexplate and it needs to be neutrally balanced but can you just take off it's weight or is there more to it than that?

I don't think it's the correct way to do things, but thats what I did because I was pressed for time and money. It works perfectly fine for me, all I did was drill it out.

This may be frowned on by some, but it got the job done....
85Chief

Do you notice any engine vibes? I don' have the flexplate out of the jeep I'm working on but I have one from a 86 2.8. I've noticed that it has a pad on 1 side and three large machined holes directly opposite of it. I can machine the pad off no problem but I'm not sure if those holes will affect anything.

When I had mine balanced they removed the pads from one side and welded some on another location. This makes me think that just removing the pads doesn't mean a neutraly balanced flex plate. I remeber the plate having some holes in the opposite end of the weights too. That would offset things a little.

Let me know if you a have any questions.

What about the flywheel for a manual transmition? I have a blown 2.8L right now I just bought a 3.4L from a '94 Camaro and I've been told it was all the same flywheel on 80-89 RWD 2.8L Chev. pick-up (which the 2.8L was originaly from) and the 93-95 RWD 3.4L.

So??? Do I need to get the flywheel balanced??

the comaro flex plat would work just need to drill new hole for the torque converter chevy uses a four or five hole bolt patern cann't remember and the 904 uses a three hole.

Yeah but that's for a automatic. I have a manual tranny so I don't use neither a flexplate nor a converter. Instead of the Flexplate I have a flywheel and to replace the converter I have a Clutch.

Back