• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kilby 1700 bracket kit

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Anyone used this bracket kit to gain OBA and retain the factory AC?

Did the kit work as designed without problems? Brad tells me the fan needs to be moved 1/2" forward, anything else i may have trouble with?

I'll also need to find a solution to my battery location, has anyone relocated the battery outside the engine compartment but not inside the vehicle?

do a search for oba i did my own i still have a\c it is a 95. i am going to be doing one on my 90 also

It might work, but I didn't feel I had sufficient clearence between the fan and the radiator with a spacer on my '98. I opted to build my own brackets, use a 6 groove pulley and a longer belt. It's been working real well. Look for an article on www.madxj.com in the future. Jeff

I have the 1700 bracket setup from Kilby right now. I like it pretty good, but there's a lot of extra little stuff to get it to work right. I had to reroute my A/C lines that head to the condenser which was a pain and then the spacing of the fan. I actually spaced mine about 3/8" and then VERY slightly bent my fan blades out. You'll notice that your fan blades kind of "open up" when it gets going so I had to make sure that the spacing between the fan and the radiator was okay with the car running, not just with it off. I installed M.O.R.E bombproof motor mounts so that I would have less of a chance of getting the fan caught in the radiator. I haven't had a problem yet. I got rid of my factory air box and moved my battery to the driver's side. I tried to get a battery tray from an export model that has the diesel and the battery on the driver's side, but I couldn't get anyone to sell it to me. I ended up modding the factory battery tray, but that took a while to figure out. I put a cone filter on and it barely fits in there --- I'm trying to come up with some sort of external filter --- I'm running out of room under the hood! My tank is in the back area. It's on the opposite side from the factory spare tire placement. I wanted to put it where the spare tire is supposed to go since that section is recessed a little, but there wasn't enough metal to support it good enough. The other side worked better. That's the overview. More specific questions are welcome.

Back