• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help- no traction

winterparker2b

NAXJA Forum User
We have had solid ice the past 2-3 mornings and I'm tired of slip-sliding around! I have googled this to death but I can't find TIRE STUDS to install. I have a mechanic friend in Winter Park, CO and if I understood correctly, there is a way to put studs on a tire that doesn't have the factory holes. Drill or melt a hole I guess? If you know or know where I can at least get the studs LMK, Thanks

It might not be real common in your area, but siping your tires will make a noticeable improvement. If no shops around you have the machine equipment for the job, search the internet for tire groovers/sipers. Handheld unit can be bought for @60-70 and the blades can be reversed to cut sipes instead of grooves. A little time consuming but well worth it.

Brian

Ive been running on ice here for the last few days good tires and about 300lbs in the back seem to make one heck of a difrence from my experiances last year with bad tires and no sand bags

ya, I'm aware of that through road course racing (SCCA) and have access to friends irons, but from what I know that will help considerably on snow but wont help much on the solid ice. Unfortunatly we dont get much dry snow, mostly sleet and ice. Otherwise my AT's would be fine.

winterparker2b said:
The tires I have on now are not real good but I do have plenty of weight in the vehicle, about 250Lb. I practically live out of my cars. HaHa
Check with Custom Off Road off of Reno and Meridian.

Your best bet, though would be to check with some place like Hibdons. They'll be able to point you in the right direction.

The ice is gone now. You've got some time.

Last edited:
It will help on any surface, including ice. On dirt or snow, the harder the surface the more the siping helps. Obviously, there is a limit regardless. But if you look into all the hightech snow/ice tires these days the two constants are soft compounds and siping. I've run screws (essentially studs)in the tires of my quad for ice, but the number required to gain significant traction is not practical for paved surfaces. I've also used chains on both the Jeep and the quad and they help but are obviuosly also not suitable for any high speed operation on roads. If you have access to the iron, try it.

Am I missing something? Why don't you just take your jeep to tire shop and have them put studs in the tires? I used to run shwab wild countries that were siped and studded in the winter and they were awsome, I got my 36's siped and they do great in the snow and ice.

CW said:
Am I missing something? Why don't you just take your jeep to tire shop and have them put studs in the tires? I used to run shwab wild countries that were siped and studded in the winter and they were awsome, I got my 36's siped and they do great in the snow and ice.
I'm real stubborn and I hate to pay anyone to work on my cars. Besides I just might learn something. That is a good point though, I havent even checked any shops but there isnt a real demand for things like that round here so Im not sure theyd have any studs.........?

winterparker2b said:
I'm real stubborn and I hate to pay anyone to work on my cars. Besides I just might learn something. That is a good point though, I havent even checked any shops but there isnt a real demand for things like that round here so Im not sure theyd have any studs.........?

i payed $10 per tire for siping here and it was like $20 a tire for both studs and siping. I sipe all my tires because it gives you so much more traction off road. If you think about how long it would take to do it yourself it is worth it to have it done.

CW said:
i payed $10 per tire for siping here and it was like $20 a tire for both studs and siping. I sipe all my tires because it gives you so much more traction off road. If you think about how long it would take to do it yourself it is worth it to have it done.
good point

I just siped my tires by hand w/ a utility knife the other night. My arm feels like a brick right now but it took me about 2 hours and WOW what a difference.

retard_ed_1 said:
ok im stupid what is siping
A sipe is the tiny little squiggly or straight slits in a tire's tread. Some tires have none, but all-weather and snow tires have an overabundance of them.

Behold. The straight ones are aftermarket cut.
ATS_tire04.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help or not but a friend and I used to put small screws in our tires for traction on ice.

gfi said:
Don't know if this will help or not but a friend and I used to put small screws in our tires for traction on ice.
I thought about that but I wasnt sure how long they would stay in. Also dont want any punctures! What did you use, I was thinking 1/4" hex head sheetmetal screws like HVAC guys use.

The screws I use in my quad are a heat treated hex hed w/ a v-grooove cut in the head to give two biting edges. You can buy them from most places that sell traction products for snowmobile tracks. Note that these are substantially larger than the studs used in automotive apps. They are a 8mm or 5/16 hex w/ a height similar to sheet metal screws of that size. The auto studs I have seen are only @1/8 in diameter and protrude less than that from the tread surface.

Back