• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing front u-joints

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if the front u-joints in my '91 XJ can be replaced without pulling the axles? They are making a bit of noise when I go around hard turns so I know it won't be long. I was going to change the front diff fluid this weekend, but if I have to pull the axles to change the joints, I'll just wait.

Thanks.

gw204 said:
I was wondering if the front u-joints in my '91 XJ can be replaced without pulling the axles? They are making a bit of noise when I go around hard turns so I know it won't be long. I was going to change the front diff fluid this weekend, but if I have to pull the axles to change the joints, I'll just wait.

Thanks.

You can pull the front axles without having to drain the fluid. Just do them one side at a time with the rig being slightly tilted to the opposite side.
And in regards to changing the ujoints without pulling the axles? I don't see how you could do that.

Kejtar said:
And in regards to changing the ujoints without pulling the axles? I don't see how you could do that.

It is possible to do without pulling the short shaft out of the Hub assembly, as long as you disconnect the ball joints. But even this short cut is a big PITA

Beached Bones said:
It is possible to do without pulling the short shaft out of the Hub assembly, as long as you disconnect the ball joints. But even this short cut is a big PITA

That's a shortcut? That sounds like more work to me

I did this recently and it is much harder to disconnect the knuckle than to just pull the shaft all the way out. One of the hardest parts is getting the hub nut off, but with a 36mm socket and a good impact gun, it shouldnt take long at all. My U-joints down there were also quite rusted up to the point where I couldnt get em out with a big vice, ended up using a 60 ton press to knock em out. Good Luck!

are you sure its the u-joints... not the hub/unit bearing?
cuz my unit bearings are going out... make noises going around "faster" turns

gw204 said:

Thanks.
Noise when you make a turn might be a hub.
I once replaced the u-joints without removing the axles. I wanted to avoid damaging the seals. I used the "C" clamp looking ball joint press and it worked.
It was a few years ago, I don't remember if the hubs had to be pulled off.
I have pulled the hubs in the past, never ran in to serious problem.
I use a 1 7/16" 1/2"drive socket with a braker bar. The nut is tight, one way to do it without impact tools, is to remove the tire hub, install the tire, let the jack down and go through the tire hub with the socket (after you remove the cotter pin).

Considering all the extra you would have to do to keep from taking it off it would be easier to take off 3 bolts and pull the shaft out. Not that big of a deal.

Beached Bones said:
I was changing ball joints anyway, and my hub didn't want to go anywhere...

put an old socket on the bolts with them back out a little way and get a ford wrenche and persuade the hub out
put back together with anti seeze

i've never tried beating the knuckle off with the hub still in, that sounds like trouble to me

MJ1990buildup said:
put an old socket on the bolts with them back out a little way and get a ford wrenche and persuade the hub out
put back together with anti seeze

i've never tried beating the knuckle off with the hub still in, that sounds like trouble to me

It worked anyway... the hub nut on my passenger's side is on WAY tight, impact wrench or 3 foot cheater bar didn't help...It did break the breaker-bar though. also the 3 hub bolts... I could see them twist but not budge at the threads. I think I would have broken them if I put more weight into it,

Beached Bones said:
It worked anyway... the hub nut on my passenger's side is on WAY tight, impact wrench or 3 foot cheater bar didn't help...It did break the breaker-bar though. also the 3 hub bolts... I could see them twist but not budge at the threads. I think I would have broken them if I put more weight into it,

we broke 8 breaker bars one day trying to get my friends axle nut off in sears parking lot with PB blaster, a torch, and a 6foot pipe

took it down to a little gas station and got it buzzed right off,

i do love craftsman tools though:)

Thanks guys. I have never attempted u-joint replacement before and was trying to determine if it's a job best left to a pro or not. I'll probably tackle this in a few weeks as the noise only occurs once in blue moon and I have another vehicle to drive if this job takes longer than a weekend....

Changing the front U-Joints is an easy job provided you have the right tools. An impact gun is very nice for getting that hub nut off, and you will need a big vice, press or some type of u-joint press to work with the U-joints. The last thing you will need is some patientince. The needle bearings in the caps don't always want to cooperate with you. I changed both of mine in one afternoon. Good Luck!

I hear ya 1990XJ4X4...

The first time I did a front axle u-joint on my 1988, it took about 7 hours. the next one took 1.5 hours, from the time the jack was under it until the wheel was back on the ground. Once you've done it once (and done it wrong) it becomes easier the next time.

A couple of things....

1) Don't be shy about tapping on the axle yoke with a heavy hammer as you are pressing the old joint out and the new one in. On the way out, it helps to break the old u-joint free. On the way in, the pressure from the press can cause the ears of the yoke to deflect. This can mean too tight a fit and too much pressre on the needle bearings. A good rap with a heavy hammer will usually align things again. Shock loads, like hammer or air hammer strikes, usually work better to break parts free than just a steady push from a press.

2) All the u-joints I've done, I found it easier to just leave the unit bearing attached, but that is just me. It's awkward to position the axle in the vice like this (if you are using a vice to press out your u-joints), but it can be done. heat helped break the bolts free. Get a block of parafin wax, and heat up arund the heads of the bolts. Let it cool for 2-3 seconds, then run the piece of wax around the head. As it cools, it draws the wax in further. We do this in the shop regularly, and it usually works well. I've seen wax drawn in for the first inch or more around the top of bolts.

Good luck
Geoff C.

Back