• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trouble, no overdrive

duKe

NAXJA Forum User
My check engine light has been on and off for the past few weeks. A few times when it is on and now.. I have no overdrive. It doesn't seem to be shifting rough into any other gears. The other day I replaced fluid and filter in it. While the fluid was out I pulled the solenoids and checked the resistance, all seemed to be within accepted limits. It seems like you can hear the transmission more than usual when driving now. One more thing, had it scanned at Autozone a week back. Can't remember the code but pretty sure it said trans malfunction..... if that helps.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.... getting ready to head back to school.

duKe

not knowing the year, I would suggest checking the TPS (you would be surpised how often the TPS can screw things up) and then teh TCU. DO a search because there is a default the transmission goes to when you disconnect the TCU which might help you diagnose the problem.

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem,
2001 XJ, 55K km
Check engine light is on (failure code P0705 - PRNDL input....trans malfunction)
and no overdrive, BUT,
If I restart the engine after few minutes of driving, the trans switchs to OD with no problems.

I cleaned the NSS, replaced the oil & filter (yesterday), still no change :-(
Please update if you find the problem, it may be very helpfull.

Thank you,
Saar.

Not being to familiar with a 98, I am not to sure. HOwever, Saar brought up a good point. Disconnect teh battery for a little while to let the computer re-set. Try it out and if it works you know it is electronic.
BSD

Hi,

I don't have to disconnect the battery,
All I have to do is switch the engine off and then on again,
after that OD is OK...

Saar.

sorry I was out for a day or two. Well, I had to get back to school and was in a crunch so I had to leave my Jeep to get looked at by a mechanic down at my gfs school. Not a fan of doing that but it was a crunch... had no other choice. It goes in tuesday I will let you know what they say.

As far as the check engine light... yea off and on. I didn't have overdrive one day... 5 minutes later I do. I drove a 7 hour trip and ran like a dream. Next day go intown and it doesn't work. Has to be electrical. I will let you know what I hear.

duKe

You will need to pull the code from the TCU. The PCM will only tell you that the TCU has a code in it.

Hi

I think (hope...) I solved the problem,
I disconnected & reconnected the TCU & TPS, problems gone,
check engine light turned off.

(I also replaced the oil & filter of the transmission, but it didn't help)
I really hope that the problem won't come back,
I suggest you try that too, I did that after reading in jeepsunlimited forum about one other guy who had the same problem and solved it that way.

Good luck,
Saar.

ok bringing this post back to life cause i am really freaking frustrated and dont know what else to go for, and i have the exact same symptoms as these people. no OD sometimes, turn off and back on and then i have it again.... just transmission flushed, new filter. fluid is nice and red. i unplugged everything just as this guy suggested and it still does the same friggin thing. OBDII scanner gives P0705 code. done searches all over the place, and i dont know what else to do. if any one else has had this problem please let me know what the deal is. rig is 99xj, aw4. 4.0, 5 in lift on 33's 4.56's and lockright noslip in rear, sye and all the goods. 185XXX miles. thanks in advance

Dale

If you don't have access to a dealer-level quality scan tool, take it to someone that does. Not a code reader. You really need to be able to see all the live data to know what the pcm/ tcm's seeing as well as whether the O/D lapse is being commanded or not. It's probably not an expensive failure but there's a lot to look at to narrow it down.

would a good shop have something like that? or any place cheaper than the 85 bucks the stealership wants?

Any dealer or good independent shop should have such an up to date scan tool. Problem is, they cost literally thousands of dollars, so you're probably gonna have to pony up to get your info if you don't have a buddy in the business. A dealer tech's more likely to hook you up since his boss owns the tool, not him.

hmm ok i'll try to get it somewhere this weekend. i appreciate the help!

dgrigorenko said:
ok bringing this post back to life cause i am really freaking frustrated and dont know what else to go for, and i have the exact same symptoms as these people. no OD sometimes, turn off and back on and then i have it again.... just transmission flushed, new filter. fluid is nice and red. i unplugged everything just as this guy suggested and it still does the same friggin thing. OBDII scanner gives P0705 code. done searches all over the place, and i dont know what else to do. if any one else has had this problem please let me know what the deal is. rig is 99xj, aw4. 4.0, 5 in lift on 33's 4.56's and lockright noslip in rear, sye and all the goods. 185XXX miles. thanks in advance

Dale

Can't remember if the P0705 was for the gear selector switch (neutral saftey) on the pass side of the trans. Can't hurt to clean it out, do a search there are some articles out there on how to do it. Other possibilities are brake switch and/or adjustment or loss of power to the control unit.

Back