• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Cluster Swap Out (Idiots to Gauges)

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a gauge cluster and have a question. I hope someone can help. My jeep is a 1989 Cherokee. I swapped out the cluster and swiched the oil sender and intended to do the coolant sender also but the parts store had to order one. I got it today but it is a completely different animal that the one in the jeep. The one in the jeep is a smaller one with what looks like a treaded post protruding from the top. I think someone may have swapped engines out. Has anyone ever seen one like this? I looked on the Parts America web and the one for the 97 looks like the right sensor except it looks like it takes a spade terminal. Maybe I have to cut off the old end and put on a spade? Other than that it works great.

Sounds like you got the wrong sensor. There are two temp sensors on the 4.0. The one you want to change is on the rear of the head on the drivers side. It has a single round threaded type post. The connector simply pushes on, it does not screw on.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

I was wondering how much $ do these sensors usually run? I may be looking to swap out clusters here in the near future.

Thanks, Jason

old_man said:
Sounds like you got the wrong sensor. There are two temp sensors on the 4.0. The one you want to change is on the rear of the head on the drivers side. It has a single round threaded type post. The connector simply pushes on, it does not screw on.

old_man

You say there are two sensors on the 4.0. I know the one with the threads is the one I have to change. I also knew it just pushed on. The one I got at Advanced Auto which is listed in there computer for the 89 Cherokee is not like the one in the jepp. Take a look at www.partsamerica and you will see what I am talikng about. Now back to ther being two sensors. I have seen in other diagrams the one in the thermostat housing if that's the other you are speeking of. However my jeep does not have one in the thermostat housing and I see no plug left open for one. I do have the 4.0 but it is not the high output one. Could someone have put a wrong thermostat housing one the jeep. If so where's the plug to plug it in. I have both Chilton's manual and a subscription to ALLDATADYI and they both show a second sensor but I am baffled as to where the plug is and why the thermostat housing does not have an opening for one. Any thoughts?

As the Old Man said; the temp sender is at the back of the head and is the one you need to change.
The coolant sensor used by the Renix computer is in the block behind the left motor mount (and needs to stay there)
The 91+ HO has the sensor in the t-stat hsg.

You didn't describe the one they gave you but maybe they gave you the one that goes in the side of the block that gives the coolent temp to the computer.

I was also confused by this at one time thinking there should be one in the t-stat housing.

There should be 2 listed in the book but maybe the one for the gauge isn't listed with same wording.

I did the full gauge upgrade on my 1992 XJ. I needed sensors so I stole them from a junkyard XJ. the donor was a 1990 and it had different oil pressure and temp sensors. my 1992 had weatherproof (i think DIN) connectors and the older XJ had standard spade style connectors. I just did a little soldering and put a spade on top of the older temp sensor post (push on) and soldered the female end where i cut off the old connector. I wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape and melted it. did pretty much the same thing for the oil pressure gauge.

Thanks for all the info friends. All is well and every thing is working great. It's nice to have the gauges. I found a used temp sender a a local pick and pull. whoever owned the donor must have just swapped it out because there wasn't even any grease or anything on the bugger. Looked new to me. Now on to the next mod.

Thats pretty sweet!

I may do this soon as my gas guage is on the fritz since some undisciplined juveniles vandalized my jeep back in October. Ripped out my stereo, pulling all wiring with it and also my heater/air controls. I need a new one of those too since they broke the mounting brackets off the side of the controls.

How much did the donor guage cluster run ya??

Cory

i got mine on ebay for $72. kinda spendy but it was NOS with 0 miles showing. the local junkyard charges $50 and that is about what a used one goes for on ebay too, plus shipping.

csr_011 said:
Thats pretty sweet!

I may do this soon as my gas guage is on the fritz since some undisciplined juveniles vandalized my jeep back in October. Ripped out my stereo, pulling all wiring with it and also my heater/air controls. I need a new one of those too since they broke the mounting brackets off the side of the controls.

How much did the donor guage cluster run ya??

Cory

check the for sale section - people are parting out rigs or selling just the gauges all the time
picked mine up for 40? a guy had a questiond for me about my rig and said that he had one for 20... just keep yer eye out...

Back