• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

local place to buy radio wiring kit?(Merrillville, IN)

GusDaDog

NAXJA Forum User
I dont wanna order online, I dont want to pay $20 at Best Buy, but Autozone, Meijer, Kmart, and Walmart are all out... anyone know an auto parts chain or retailer left to try? Or...should I just cut the connector off the stock radio and use a diagram to mate up the wires...eh...but I wanna be able to reinstall the radio...grr.... I hate driving from place to place in the snow....

GusDaDog said:
I dont wanna order online, I dont want to pay $20 at Best Buy, but Autozone, Meijer, Kmart, and Walmart are all out... anyone know an auto parts chain or retailer left to try? Or...should I just cut the connector off the stock radio and use a diagram to mate up the wires...eh...but I wanna be able to reinstall the radio...grr.... I hate driving from place to place in the snow....

Pony Up Big Boy...
Use some of the loot you saved during the wrenchfest
:D

GusDaDog said:

Radio Shack or there is a place at the corner of US 30 and Taft in Merrillville. Its on the southeast corner. I don't remember the name of the place but I bought two radios and an amp for past cars from them. Always was treated nice even as a poor college student; plus they had deals to draw in the poor saps like me. I once drove from Chicago to them to have them fix the radio some schmuch tried to remove from my ol' Honda and they didn't charge me.

Then again this is like 7 years ago, but I bet they're still the same way.

$20 is about the norm for a wiring harness. i wouldn't trust a harness from autozone, pepboys, etc, because they are not made for a specific vehicle and will not always work. if you get one from crutchfield, like mentioned above, or from best buy or circuit city, you know that it will work. JMHO.

Pretty tough to beat $20 for one made to fit your vehicle.

Fuel90 said:
$20 is about the norm for a wiring harness. i wouldn't trust a harness from autozone, pepboys, etc, because they are not made for a specific vehicle and will not always work. if you get one from crutchfield, like mentioned above, or from best buy or circuit city, you know that it will work. JMHO.

You're thinking of the installation/mounting kit. Those things usually come with a bunch of mounts for other vehicles that you don't end up using. The wiring harnesses are made for the specific vehicles, I've installed quite a few, and I've always bought them at places like Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. and they have always fit and functioned properly. Unless they've gone way up in price, you used to be able to pick them up for $7-$10.

Last edited:
about 3 years ago I bought both kits, the plastic install kit and the wiring harness kit, from Best Buy for $17 out the door, now they want $19 for the plastic install kit and $18 for the wires.... at Walmart I was able to pick up the plastic install kit for my specific model for like $8, and they have the wiring also for specific models too for like $6-$9 but were out of them at all the previously mentioned places...they are all even the same kit....

....guess I'll drive around tomorrow and look some more....I can afford $20 at BestBuy but I'm hurt by the drastic price increase and the obvious gouging for accessories....

Keep in mind Gus, that at $1.70 per gal, you may quickly eat up all your "savings" ... unless you can place a value on shopping :D

Les

When I lived in Laporte, about 8 years ago, there was a stereo shop in front of the mall in merriville and they had them cheap like usually 5 - 10 bucks, and if you bought the head unit from them they would usually just throw it in.
if youreally don't want to spend any money just cut the harness and solder everything together

Back