• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I get 33 MTR or 34 Trxus

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm needing a little swaying here.My 96 XJ now has 6 1/2" lift (R.E.Short Arm, Acos,1" rear block), 4.56 gears D30 front with no-slip, Trussed D35 rear with Super 35 Detroit, Stock steering, factory flares in stock location, front has been trimmed even with top of bumper.Its a 4.0 Auto with NP231.Been running 33x10.50 Radial TSL for about 8k miles on 7" steelies with 4.5" backspace.

I've decided I want a wider tire, so I have on order Cragar soft 8 wheels, 8" with
4" backspace.I think I've narrowed tire choice down to either 33x12.50 Mtr's, or
34x12.50 Trxus MT.Daily driving is about 120 miles a week in So.Calif.Trails I do are in the Mojave desert/El Paso range mainly to get to gold mines with occasional rocks and ruts, and the Sierras mostly fire roads with occasional deep mud spots, roots, and wet rocks going into the hydraulic pits in spring.I like to drive around Big Bear area too for fun both winter and summer.

Which tire should I get?My obsessive compulsive side is making it hard for me to choose :confused1

Haven't driven anything w/ the Trxus yet, but lots of Jeeps w/ MTR's. I myself am on my second set of 32-10.5 TSL radials. The Swampers are by far better riding, lower frequency on the vibration scale, and about the same noise wise, though lower frequency just like the vibrations. I would go Swamper.

Brian

explorer said:
The Swampers are by far better riding

Brian, you mean the tsl swampers are by far better riding than the mtr's?I've never driven mtr's, but these radial tsl's i'm on now are down right scary sometimes and REALLY noisy :wow:

The 32-10.5's have a slightly different pattern than the 33-10.5's but shoudn't be that much different. My Swampers have been grooved and siped, which makes them much better noise and handling wise. My first set w/ siping only was no louder than the Wrangler GSA'a that came on the Jeep OEM. The MTR's I have driven are much harder/stiffer feeling, even though I run my Swampers at 50 psi. When you say they're scary, what are you comparing them to?

Brian

I would go with 33" trXus and put the fat wad of money I just saved over the 34s (~$135) into more mods. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com

Last edited:
explorer said:
When you say they're scary, what are you comparing them to?

Brian

BFG MT was what I was using before.They were 31x10.50 and were wider than my 33x10.50 tsl.The tsl to me feel very squirly.At highway speeds on rough sections of highway is mainly where it gets bad.

Do you do any mud? Mainly rock? what type of terrain do you like best? Trxus is better all around and I sure miss mine (they went with the jeep) and now I have bfgs and they are okay but I sure miss my trxus. Awesome tire if you like a little mud. If you don't do any mud then you might consider mtr but I still like trxus more.---------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
Do you do any mud? Mainly rock? what type of terrain do you like best?

Mud in the spring, some rock in the winter, alot of rain here this year, so now its wet rock where I go.I was thinking the Trxus might be cool because of the slightly larger size of the 34.I've heard the side walls aren't as strong as the mtr, but I don't plan on getting into full blown rockcrawling until I can get some beefier axels and a different daily driver, plus I was going to get 4 wheel parts no question asked warranty incase I do rip a sidewall.But now I've had a couple people say the 34's are closer to a 35 and that might be a problem with my setup.Is a 34 really THAT much bigger than a 33?I'm running a 33 tsl now, and it seems that i'm only going to sit 1/2" higher than I'm at now with the 34.I like my 4.56 with my current tires, is the 34 really going to be that much different?

cloudswimmer said:
BFG MT was what I was using before.They were 31x10.50 and were wider than my 33x10.50 tsl.The tsl to me feel very squirly.At highway speeds on rough sections of highway is mainly where it gets bad.

BFG's tend to be very stiff, kind of like the MTR from what I've driven. Maybe you would be happier w/ the MTR's. I drive a TJ w/ no sway bars, lift and 32's and its kind of mushy all around by most standards, but w/ an adjusted driver, it can do crazy things, even on asphalt. I don't know if your setup was the same w/ the BFG's as far as lift goes, but either way, that is a contributing factor. With the short arms and that much lift, the dynamic effect of the suspension creates roll oversteer. Basically, as the body rolls, the axle, regardless of steering input, steers the vehicle in to the turn more than just the steer angle alone. The harder you corner, the more the effect. This alone can create some scary handling, and the soft tires won't help. The fact that you notice on rough roads when the susp. is cycling through more travel also indicates that this could be a large part of the problem. Also as far as size goes, the Swampers tend to run closer to stated size than the Goodyears or BFG's. My 32" Swampers were only @ 1/2" shorter than 35" Claws that one of my friends was using. Both @ 1/2 worn.

Last edited:
explorer said:
BFG's tend to be very stiff, kind of like the MTR from what I've driven. Maybe you would be happier w/ the MTR's

Well I just found out 34" Trxus are now back ordered on the west coast, so that possibly could help me make a decision.Its been raining like mad here lately so I guess I could always wait and go play in the mud with my TSL pizza cutters for the time being though.

explorer said:
With the short arms and that much lift, the dynamic effect of the suspension creates roll oversteer.

I guess the cure for that would be long arms?

Back