PDA

View Full Version : Renix mod - CTS

Digger87xj
January 6th, 2005, 12:22
Has anyone moved the temp sensor from the block to the thermostat housing on a RENIX 4.0?

Mine shows CT at ~ 180* in the block, (as does the infrared) at full temp when the guage and infrared show 200*+ at the head and t-stat housing.

I'm wondering if I move the CTS up to the thermostat housing if I will see a fuel mileage/performance increase, or if the RENIX software was designed to calculate with the lower temps.

offroadman83
January 6th, 2005, 20:43
I moved the cts to the airtube on my old 87 xj to try to fool it into colder air. I can't remember feeling any improvement and I never calculated it but I did it dr. dino style through his writeup on his webpage. =======Kyle

outlander
January 6th, 2005, 22:41
I don't mean to hi-jack but has anyone used the thermo housing as a spot for a after market temp gauge sender hook up?Would that restrict coolant flow much?Maybe I'm just day dreaming ..........

old_man
January 7th, 2005, 06:56
The later model engines actually have a thermo housing that has the hole for a temp gauge. I used one and added a temp switch to run an extra electric cooling fan.

Digger87xj
January 7th, 2005, 09:20
I moved the cts to the airtube on my old 87 xj to try to fool it into colder air. I can't remember feeling any improvement and I never calculated it but I did it dr. dino style through his writeup on his webpage. =======Kyle
Hmm did you mean the intake air temp sensor? ... that would fool the 'puter to thinking it's getting a denser air charge....you dont want to move the CTS (coolant temp sensor) there

Digger87xj
January 7th, 2005, 09:21
I don't mean to hi-jack but has anyone used the thermo housing as a spot for a after market temp gauge sender hook up?Would that restrict coolant flow much?Maybe I'm just day dreaming ..........
the HO version puts the CTS there for the computer.

If you have a renix you can buy a t-stat housing for a HO and put the temp sender there no problem.

Digger87xj
January 7th, 2005, 09:23
Has anyone moved the temp sensor from the block to the thermostat housing on a RENIX 4.0?

Mine shows CT at ~ 180* in the block, (as does the infrared) at full temp when the guage and infrared show 200*+ at the head and t-stat housing.

I'm wondering if I move the CTS up to the thermostat housing if I will see a fuel mileage/performance increase, or if the RENIX software was designed to calculate with the lower temps.
After thiking about this for a while, one thing i know for sure is that the 'puter will go into closed loop sooner, so I do think that is benefit enough to move it.

I'm not too sure about mileage increase but there should be some.... fas far as performance goes...nothing noticable....

discussions?

offroadman83
January 7th, 2005, 20:34
Doh I did mean intake air temp sensor!!!! Oops came home after my 10 hour shift and was a little too tired I guess. Sorry-------Kyle

Micha
January 7th, 2005, 23:41
will the block sender fit into the t-stat housing? they seem pretty different. how are the resistance values for the block vs. t-stat housing sensors?

Digger87xj
January 8th, 2005, 09:55
will the block sender fit into the t-stat housing? they seem pretty different. how are the resistance values for the block vs. t-stat housing sensors?
I havent gotten a new renix sensor and HO housing yet so I can't answer that question... but I'm pretty sure that both the sensor and housing are 1/4 NPT though.

I also have not compared renix to HO sensors for resistance values either but wasn't planning on using the ho sensor.