• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are front bearings serviceable?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I have one (spare) front axle bearing that is in unknown condition. Is there any way to service it? or determine it's condition? Btw, it's the bearing that goes into the more recent axles (92+ ?)

I was told by Six States that there is a rebuild kit for them, but for the cost of the kit, and the labor to do it, it is NOT worth it. They told me that they won't even bother with it.

ok, is there a way to figure out what condition it's in? As in is it good or not? Also since I'll be doing some work to my front axle maybe this weekend I would like to checkout the condition of the ones that are on it.

Kejtar said:
ok, is there a way to figure out what condition it's in? As in is it good or not? Also since I'll be doing some work to my front axle maybe this weekend I would like to checkout the condition of the ones that are on it.

usually when a bearing pack like that stars to fail it will have some slop in it. Usually when you try to move it forward/backward, or up/down if it is loose it is not good. If it appears tight it should be alright.

BTW its the same from 90 up according to the info I got.

If it has any lateral play in it or if it feels/sounds rough (grinding noise) when you spin it by hand, it's on the way out. It should feel tight and rotate smoothly.

Back