• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I smell gas

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
Maybe my piece of junk is running rich or something else is wrong with it. Whenever it is running ( not pedal to the metal ) I can smell gas outside of it. The tank is not leaking, I have already checked. Any Ideas? :dunno:

*STOP* RIGHT NOW!

Check your injectors, they're known for leaking at the seams. If one is leaking, replace them all, with new o-rings as well. This is a pretty easy job.

This is reasonably well known, and XJs have been known to burn up because of it. Get it fixed.

ChiXJeff said:
*STOP* RIGHT NOW!

Check your injectors, they're known for leaking at the seams. If one is leaking, replace them all, with new o-rings as well. This is a pretty easy job.

This is reasonably well known, and XJs have been known to burn up because of it. Get it fixed.

What he said, but check it running. The gas evaporates so fast that you may not spot the leak when it's shut off.

I't could be an injector, but it also could be a fuel line quick disconnect. There are two fuel lines & QDs... one at the front, and one at the rear of the manifold.

I've had a (fairly fresh) fuel filter go bad/start stinking as it also developed a noticible leak.

ChiXJeff said:
*STOP* RIGHT NOW!

'zactly what happened to mine a few years back...
Perfect opportunity to replace with Ford Motorsport injectors...
8 for $80 :D

Thanks for the advice guys, I have checked all of that stuff and realized that it is mostly the smell of my ragged out exhaust system ( leaky exhaust manifold / a cat that rattles when you smack it with a hammer / and a muffler with gaping rock holes in the bottom). All of that smoke comes out under me through the rust holes in the floor and gets swirled around by the fan in the engine compartment. Man it sucks to be a poor college guy. I have a flowmaster 40 series sittin in my shop that came off of one of my buddies XJ's that I want to put on and I feel like just hollowing out the CAT instead of buyin a new one. I just need to find the time to mess with it and a welder to play with.

If you had a STRONG raw fuel smell, you might want to be sure before you cruise that thing. The other guys mentioned injectors & disconnects, but I've had (twice) leaky injector O-rings. W/ the key on, (fuel pump primed at pressure), push HARD on the upper end of each injector. If you hear or see a squirt of fuel, swap out all O-rings. $12.98 from the dealer w/ tax, includes regulator O-ring. Twice now the new O-rings stopped the leaking & Haven't actually had an actual injector problem, just the O-rings. The smell of RAW fuel should definitenly mAKE YOU PANIC....

My gas smell came from the injector were the plastic meets the metal. Just a little leak but I could smell it when I got out of the jeep.

I would hate to see a Jeep-a-que.

Also check where the fule pressure regulator connects to teh fuel rail (little round thing with a vacumn line going to it at the front of the fuel rail. There is an o-ring there and when it leaks it is hard to notice because it drips down out of sight. Ask me how I know. :) I would double check as your exhaust, unless you are running redicoulously rich or have a cylinder not firing, should not smell life fuel.
BSD

Back