• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which jeeps had Dana 44's

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
The reason I ask is I saw one that has been parked in a yard for sometime. I go home from work a different way sometimes looking for old Cherokee's since I just got one.

Well I saw one today but, I didn't want to get out of the car the neighborhood was pretty ruff. I just did a drive by so I could rubber neck. Anyway, I could see it had a tow bar and that the front grill has the 4 headlamps so I think it's within the right years. But if I can confirm it has a Dana 44 rear then I will ask about it for sure. Any other clues to give it away as a D44? The spare was missing, because I remember seeing one with a D44 and it has a much bigger spare than mine (my GF actually noticed that) not sure but that would make since as a factor deal.

Only thing so far is that you know its a Wagoneer from the four headlights. You've got to climb underneath and look at the housing I believe. If it is a Wagoneer with the tow package you may be lucky. Should be 87 at least, don't think the 84-86 came with one.

'87-'89 XJ...'87 most common.

MJ's with the metric ton package...not sure on those years.

Ron Hyslop said:
I got mine out of 87 Wagoneer without a trailer tow pac.

Thanks,

That is helpful! I may have been overlooking some XJ's then. I was under the impression that the D44 was only under trailer preped models.

Yeah, not necessarily under tow package models... mine's an 87 and has no factory tow package (aftermarket hitch though), and has a factory D44.

I have only seen them in 87's.

The 44 was an option that usually came with the tow package. I have only seen them on 87's. Here are a couple of photos to look at.

Dana 44 (front but shape is the same)

standard.jpg

Dana 35

standard.jpg

I put one from an '88 in my last XJ. As I said above...metric ton MJ's, and '87-'89 XJ's...tow package is irrelevant as some had it and some didn;t.

The '87 XJ D-44 is the most common.

Places I have seen it so far------
My old 87 with tow package had one
My most recent 87 had one but no tow package.
Saw one in a 2 wheel drive 87 cherokee and talked to the guy about it to confirm. I couldn't believe it.
I have no experience with the 88-89 year models having any but I have always been told they do.

Sterling90XJ said:
How do you distiguish between MJs and metric ton MJs?

It was a special package...mainly because of the D-44 I believe. THere isn;t a way to distinguish unless you get up under it to lok for the D-44.

offroadman83 said:
Places I have seen it so far------
My old 87 with tow package had one
My most recent 87 had one but no tow package.
Saw one in a 2 wheel drive 87 cherokee and talked to the guy about it to confirm. I couldn't believe it.
I have no experience with the 88-89 year models having any but I have always been told they do.

I started this thread, and have been looking for a month or better for the imfamous XJ D44. Well today I stopped at a new yard and went walking around. Found the normal D35's like mine except non c-clip. But Stuck my head under one and BAM a saw a D44. Had to do a double take! It's in the bed of my truck now. Cost 150.00, with tires and wheels. It was in a 2WD Cherokee, could not tell what year it was though.

043500 said:
It was a special package...mainly because of the D-44 I believe. THere isn;t a way to distinguish unless you get up under it to lok for the D-44.

The MJ did come with a "Metric Ton" nameplate on the right side of the tailgate.

As everyone is mentioning D44's in tow package and not...you would think the tow package had a different ratio. so if you know your ratios and whether it came from an XJ with or without please post and then we can compare....im thinking the 3.73 or 4.10 came with the tow package and the 3.5 came with non-tow, but only a thought
david

alvarez919 said:
As everyone is mentioning D44's in tow package and not...you would think the tow package had a different ratio. so if you know your ratios and whether it came from an XJ with or without please post and then we can compare....im thinking the 3.73 or 4.10 came with the tow package and the 3.5 came with non-tow, but only a thought
david

Not sure what combination had 3.73's but it was listed although I have never seen them personally. The ZJ or WJ with towing has 3.73's. All XJ's with the 4.0L I have seen either had 3.07's (manual trans) or 3.55's (automatic).

Back