• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Track bar noise

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ took a hit today. I ran off the road after dozing off. I know... I'm stupid and lucky. The only damage was a bruised tire. However... now I am getting a pop noise when I turn my wheel back and forth. It's coming from where the track bar mount bolts through the "frame" up to the motor mount??

It makes a high pitched pop "frame" noise instead of he typical clunk made by a track bar. I can put the tip of my finger up where the "frame" and motor mount / track bar mount sandwich toghether, and feel a slight bit of movement.

I cant turn the two trck bar mount bolts with a hand wrench. Would it be a bad thing to put the impact on them? I think the sudden upward suspension movement jammed the track bar up into the mount and loosened it (or wallered" it out just a little.

I have a new lift in the driveway that is going on next week. I want to make sure I have no noises afterthe lift goeson so I want to address this one now.

Any suggestions? Air tools? What do you think?

HarveOut-

Ok... I just realized the RE kit replaces the Track bar bracket with a new heavy duty one. I suppose that will take care of my noise. I guess that is why they use heavy duty ones in the taller lifts. I can see that the stock one wouldn't last very long.

Pull the track bar mount off. Check the mount for cracks, the frame where it bolts on for cracks, and the track bar tie rod joint for damage. It's a little work, but if the frames cracked you'll want to fix it before the lift. And, you may get lucky and find the track bar is toast before you get the bracket off.

Back