• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch!!!!

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
trying to replace my fan clutch but the new unit from autozone is abit longer so im having to remove the studs to get it to fit what a pain!!!!! did i just recieve the wrong fan clutch? or am i missing something here.

Take that fan clutch back to the store. Take the removed fan clutch to other parts stores and tell them "i want one that looks like this". I found the same shape/size clutch at O'reilly's and CarQuest for my 88 XJ.

Having to tilt the radiator to install a fan clutch is poor engineering. Go get your money back.

Jeepster4wd said:
trying to replace my fan clutch but the new unit from autozone is abit longer so im having to remove the studs to get it to fit what a pain!!!!! did i just recieve the wrong fan clutch? or am i missing something here.

I'll bet you got an Imperial brand. Go to Napa or Carquest and get the Hayden brand. That fan clutch will work just fine once it's in but as you've learned, it will take some work. I would just remove the crossmember that goes over the top of the radiator and tilt the radiator back rather than remove the studs.

Martin hit on the head, there are three different length fan clutchs two wrongs and one right, carquest has the right one, correct length and fits..

well its fully in now. jeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. that took forever and was absultly brutal on my hands. all with no space and that stupid plastic shroud argh! Next time il remove top radiator brace and move radiator abit or get correct part. but yea what moron designed this pos. imagine all the people that try to install one lol.

Jeepster4wd said:
well just took it for a good test drive. wow what a differnce. all my overheating issues seem to be gone.

How much clearance do you have between the fan and the radiator now ?

Whats the easy way of getting the fan shroud off? A buddy of mine said to tilt the rad back and it would give you enough room for it to pull out but it didn't work for me. I didn't take the top rad support right off though so maybe that was why.

The manual says you lift out the fan assy and the shroud at the same time, you also install them at the same time. Removal of the shroud by itself it basially impossible.

Yeah thats what I do right now but its damn annoying. I hope that I don't have to do it very often (I just changed my water pump and pulled it out) but maybe I will cut it in half and fab a way of putting it back together to make it easier from now on.

I followed another member's advice and trimmed the bottom part of the shroud flush. Now it slides out pretty easy without having to unbolt anything. Just a slight tilt of the radiator. Haven't noticed any effect on my cooling.

Actually i have tried the imperial one aswell as the hayden one and they dont fit in well, my next guess would be to try one made by carquest or ac delco or another brand ? Anyone know which brands work...

pete

yeah i had to remove it and put it back in at the same time. so it was kinda tricky.the fan is abit coser to the radiator. its about 2"s or so from it. maybe closer il measure it up tommorrow. i believe it cools abit beter as it is more efficient bieng closer to the radiator. It has been staying way cooler than it use to. before it would start to over heat when i came to a stop or slowed down. got abit worse when i installed 4 offroad lights in front of the grill. it cools like no other now so overall im happy. im going to do some more testing on it though but i believe my over heating problem is sloved. I do also have a new 3 row csf radiator,mopat tstat, all new hoses ect. so it had to be that stupid fan clutch that was bad.

Actually to improve efficiency you need to have the fan as close to the 'mouth' of the fan shroud as possible, that means further back from the radiator. When you move it closer the fans have a tendency of pulling air only thru the fins that are within the fans diameter. When the fan is back further it pulls air from a wider area on the radiator, pulls a vacum more or less inside the fan shroud which in turn draws air evenly thru all the fins. Thats one of the reasons those dual electric pusher fans that attach directly to the front of the core don't work well, they only push thru the contact area directly in front of the fan.
As far as I know the fan clutches are made by AC/Delco...

Back