• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 4x4 problem

AndrewXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am having another problem with my 4WD on my 88 XJ. I replaced the transfer case about 2 months ago. Since then my 4WD has been working fine and no problems. For the past week or so, my full time light has been fading on and off whilst driving. Now, today the Part Time light is coming on and staying on and I am concerned about blowing another transfer case. The Jeep doesn't feel like it's in 4WD when the light is on (I can spin the tires in snow/rain) Would any of you guys know what the deal is with this? It is the NP242 Tcase. TIA - Andrew :)

sounds like a wire may be grounding out somewhere or you have a loose connection going to the switches that turn the indicator lights on when shifted into 4wd. I would check there first.

yeah, I'd definitely check that wiring first. If it was actually engaging, more than likely it would be slipping in and out, and you'd feel that driving around. I believe that the sensor actually reads off of a part in the case's detent system, so unless you actually shift it, it should not send a signal saying that you are in 4WD.

I had a similar problem on my '88... Turned out to be one of the vaccum lines going to the actuator on the axle.
The hose had loosened a little bit...
Make sure all of those vaccum lines are plugged in all the way (If I remember correctly, there's 3 lines)...

Back