• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease Nipples and Exhaust Pipes...

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so never in a million years I thought. No way a grease nipple on the front driveshaft slip yoke would be strong enough to gouge away my downpipe and leave a gaping hole in my exhaust.

Sure when we started the trail the old MJ purred nicely...but about half-way through it was like NASCAR meets Folgers underneath my truck.

A quick look under the truck revealed an enlarging hole in the downpipe. Seems when the pipe was installed by the previous owner, it was shoved towards the driver's side a bit.

As the suspension articulated on the trail, the grease nipple contacted the downpipe and wore a hole through it. I'm sure had the nipple hit something not quite so able to move a smidge, it would have been torn right off.

But man, I never would have thought they were even that tough.

Well, $150 CDN later I have a new downpipe. Just gotta make sure this doesn't happen again.

And talk about timing, after we cut the pipe off, what do we find - cracks on the opposite side of the pipe with hairline fractures...so it was going to need replacing in the next few weeks anyway...LOL (the pipe was plenty rusted at that point)

DrMoab said:
you know...you should be carful how you word your titles in your posts. Man did I ever take that the wrong way. :laugh3:
I was...hehe...LOL

And for the record, it does not say GREASED Nipples ON Exhaust Pipes...that would turn heads... ;)

Back