• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar mount

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've isolated the problem (I think) to the upper track bar mount. the mounting hole is worn.
Can I get them someplace other than the $tealer?
Anyone have a good used one lying about?

I'd try one of those online dealer parts sites like parts.com to see if you can find it. I will agree the dealer seems to charge an arm and a leg for certain items but for a lot of things I find the Jeep dealer competitive with the aftermarket parts. If I recall the bracket runs around $75.

I think Rusty's offroad sells a track bar mount but don't recall if it for a stock bar or an aftermarket bar.

The problem you describe is common, there is a TSB for my 88 XJ which tells you to replace it if you hear popping. I'd go with new since it so common a problem.

I am kinda glad I just got the adjustable trackbar and not the one with the mount. Here is the cath for taking off the factory mount. I checked it out on mine before I ordered. one of the four bolts you need to take out has nut that is a circle. Now why in the hell that was doen is beyond me. It was the same on two other XJ's I don't know if that was a"feature" or what. And I never could get agrip on it to get it off. That may be a dealer secret. Can anyone shed any light on the subject.

Royce
What year are you working on? mine looked like it had the same but it seems to be welded to the rail. All 4 came off on my 91, too some big time elbow grease and lots of pb but it's done! gonna do it again soon. Snap a pic if you can!
OTOH maybe someone tried with the wrong socket (its 18mm) and rounded it!

Well mine is a '94 and it has been in the fam since the day it left the lot and it was pure stock until I got my hands on it this past winter. Yeah, maybe the thing is pressed in there but I was under there with an air gun and the damn bolt didnt come out.... it spun... maybe the weld broke??? I'll get under there and snap a pic and get it up on here, I gotta do pics of my lovely floor board above my cat as well, lol.

Back