• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Socket Brush?

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
I could have sworn there was a posting here about cleaning the headlight sockets with a specially designed brush. I also thought this magical tool was available at Radio Shack. But when I went to Radio Shack, the clerk had no idea what I was talking about, but said such a tool was "a good idea."

Am I dreaming? Is it old age? Does anyone have a better clue than I?

I'm trying to clean the inside of the headlight socket, the little three-prong casing. When I pulled the old headlights, they had some mild corrosion and the light output with the new headlamps is not dramatically brighter (I switched from old Wagner halogens to the new Silverstars), especially on the highway. I was planning on checking the aim of the headlights and cleaning the terminals and see if this helps. Thanks!

I use my wifes finger nail file. I had to make it a little thinner for it to fit all the way into the connector. Works like a champ on cleaning the crud off the brass. I also used some electrical contact cleaner to wash out the connector after the cleaning.

Hey just don't tell my wife :laugh3:

They're called burnishing tools, but Lunatic728's method is essentially the same.

Last edited:
They are made by GC, good electronics shops will have them, not radio 'americas technolgy store' shack...

Back