• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8's getting a little tired

mike86xj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to do a swap soon but i'm still undecided on what I want to do.

I was originaly thinking of the 3.4 swap but that still leaves me with the weak ass 5spd trans and a 207 t/c

Then I was thinking about a 304/360 with an aw4 and a 231 but thats a lot of work and I sure as hell dont wanna spend $500+ on a custom rad to keep it cool.

So now i'm thinking of trying to stick in a 4.0 aw4 or ax15 and a 231 but I've heard that the engine compartment is different. I know the rad and cradle are different but anything else?

Also, does anyone know if a intake and carb from a amc 258 will bolt onto the 4.0 head? I dont want to piss around with fi right now, just a simple carb,and maybe add a megasquirt fi system later

I know the 3.4 swap would be the easiest but i'm kinda leaning away from it and the 304/360 would be the hardest for fitment and cooling reasons.

Would the 4.0 AW4 or AX15 and 231 swap be pretty straight forward?
I know it will not be a straight bolt in, but how close would it be?

Thanks for any help
Mike

4.0 has been done before. Just get a donor vehicle and swap everything over. Some people say the firewall has to be relieved at the rear for exhaust clearance, some say it doesn't. I'd go with the 3.4, 2.8 TBI fuel injection with the injectors swapped to 4.3 injectors, (that's an easy mod), 700R4 auto mated to a 231 with an Advance Adapters adaptor. Talked to HeepJeep, on the NEOW.net board, this past weekend and he ran a 5 speed Puke behind a 4.7 stroker and never broke it. The length of service for your equipment is directly proportional to how hard and how much you stomp the skinny pedal. :)

how about a chevy 4.3 V6/2004R/231 swap? get a s10 or blazer and swap it all over.. the TBI on the PRE-91 trucks is totally self-contained and a very easy swap... get a good running truck with no body left on it and you have all the parts you need... a GDI 3-core rad should keep the 4.3 at acceptable temps.. sounds like you are up to the task of the basic mod/fab stuff so it should be pretty easy.. the longevity of the 4.3 is pretty equal to the 4.0 I6.... someone i know swapped a 4.0L into his 85 XJ... it was easier to cut the entire front clip off a donor truck and graft it on than to modify the existing structure to fit the longer engine...

I was thinking of the 4.0 to keep it all jeep. well i should say make it all jeep
and the possibility of a stroked 4.0 has really gotten my interest

also 4.3's are not an easy find in the cheap wrecker's, plus even thinking about all the wiring is giving me a headache

does anyone know if the carbed intake from the older 258 i6's will bolt up????

Back