• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing Trouble

Rem870XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have had my XJ for just a month now and another problem has occured. First the alternator,starter, and battery went out and now my left front wheel and chattering and loose. I suspect bearings only hopefully. How many of you have done this and how hard is it. I consider myself a decent mechanic. The jeep is a 97 with a 5.5 RE lift and 33" tires. ANy help would be awesome!!!

Andy

I think I will be doing this in the near future I mounted my 31.10.50's the other day and the wheels hubs moved alot... I'm wondering if that would be the bearings also...

You will need a 36 mm axle nut socket and a 12-point 13 mm socket.

An impact wrench is handy to get the axle nut off. Or a large breaker bar.

It's actually pretty straightforward.

More details...

Spray PB Blaster on the axle nut and three hub bolts beforehand.

Remove the cotter pin and nut lock, and break loose the axle nut with the tire still on the ground (just makes it easier).

Jack up the Jeep, remove the tire, the brake caliper, and the rotor. Remove the axle nut and the three hub bolts from the backside. You may need a BFH to break the hub assembly loose from the axle housing. Mine came out very easily.

Reverse procedure with new hub assembly.

I may have left something out or put something out of order (I'm tired). Someone please verify.

Last edited:
It's fairly easy. My experience was slightly more complicated because I had to deal with a seized hub assy.

Go here and skim the first section of tech article "Upgrading to Larger U-Joint Front Axle Shafts" for an idea of what you're in for:
http://www.madxj.com/

Thanks guys for the help. Did the hub swap tonight and did turn out being pretty straight forward. Dang thing cost 150$ though and my other side is tad lose and will probably need one soon, o-well. I will just stay broke for now. Took about 45 minutes to do so if guys that haven't done this are not sure, its pretty easy really.

Thanks guys

I'll keep that in mind. Advance Auto's are few and far between around here but I'll drive to the nearest one for a savings like that.

XJade said:
I'll keep that in mind. Advance Auto's are few and far between around here but I'll drive to the nearest one for a savings like that.
for which year? IIRC there were 2 different types used through the years.

They changed it in I think 90 or 91 and you can use either one but if you have a later jeep you have to use later brake rotors and vice versa.The differance in the two is the depth of the rotor .I have rotors and wheel bearings off of a 2004 wrangler on my 89 XJ.

WobblesXJ said:
Mine is an 88.

Maybe it's changed on the cv axle types. I'm not sure.

you have CVs in the front of your 88? (unless you meant something else by that) those were only on pre-87 XJs and some ZJs have them... not sure about the compatability of the hubs from cv to non-cv though.. now that i think of it i probably misunderstood what you wrote..

Back