• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no power to the ballist! help!!

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have an '88 XJ 4.0L I have no power to the ballist I need to know what is before the ballist.... relay.. fuse...fusable link...???? also I noticed a relay on the driverside that has poer from a solid red wire but no power to any other wires.... what is this relay for? also how is the easiest way to fix fusable links at the starter relay? I got a few that are starting to brake.. but still connected I might as well fix those now....

Thanks Dalton

i have an 89 and there is NOT ALWAYS power to the ballast.Im sure by now u have found that its only momentary.
also, you WILL NOT have power to the ballast every single time you turn the key forward.Im not sure why, but mine will have power there about 95% of the time that i key forward.
If im not mistaken, the ignition switch gives it its power during and after cranking
On the rare occasion that i dont hear the pump when i key forward, it still starts as if the pump had cycled

Second relay from the rear is the fuel pump relay or the third from the front with A/C. 30 pin (if I remember correctly) gets power directly from a fusible link. Relay actuates when the key is turned to the run position (not start), you can feel with your finger (while a friend) turns the key on and off and hear/feel when the relay trips. I often swap in the A/C relay as a test.
During start, the ballast resistor is bypassed (at the starter relay) and current flows directly to the pump.
If the motor starts then dies, it is often the fuel pump relay.
I went to a boat supply shop and bought water resistant fuses (and holders) to replace a few of the fusible links.

Back