• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Question

JKennedy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Ramsey 9000Pro, and I was wondering how to properly ground it. My friend's Warn is grounded with a wire from the case of the winch motor to his battery. Mine didn't come with a ground wire. Are the bolts mounting it to my bumper good enough?
-Thanks

Yeesh..... considering how much current gets drawn under a full pull, I'd ground that back all the way to the battery. The ground cable to body looks pretty skimpy compared to positive cable on the winch.

Something doesn't sound right with your winch.

I bought it at a yard sale, and I was wondering where the ground attached from factory. Would a ground cable running from the winch mounting bolt to the battery work? It works when wired like that.

Back when I had an electric winch, I had a Ground from the winch to the - post.
Is there a grounding lug on the case somewhere?
If not I would use the back side of one of the mounting bolts.

on my ramsey winch the ground goes from the seloniod pack to the battery. There is a red and a black wire going from the battery toe the selonoid pack and then from the seloniod pack to the winch there are just two black wire. one is positive and negative depending on which selonoid is doing whatever a selnoid does. So if u got the two black wires attached to your winch then your winch is already grounded to the battery

I don't see any studs on the case anywhere. My seloniod box has one red wire that goes to the battery, and three black wires that all run to three studs on the motor.

Back