• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight delay

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
My '90 Pioneer seems to have delayed headlights, but seems to sometime activate, and sometimes now. I've not pinpointed exatly what makes them activate or not to activate. Is there a relay or something that's maybe going? If so, where is it located?

thx

In my 92 XJ if the lights are on when I the switch ignition off, the lights stay on delay. If the lights are off when ignition goes off. lights not on.

Thanks, I'll try this on my way to work tonight and see what happens. [my lights though are never fully off. When my lights are 'off' they still are on, but only at low power -- driving lights I guess.]

On my 98 it depends on the key: if they key is in(doesnt matter on or off) and the lights are on they will delay if the key is removed before you turn off the lights, if the lights are turned off then the key is removed the lights will not delay.

Turn off your headlights before shutting off the engine and they won't stay on. I thought something had shorted the first time mine stayed on. :)

Thanks everyone!. Mystery is solved! :yelclap: And yes, it's Canadian XJ, born and raised in Ontario, spent a few years in Seattle, but now is back home again! hehe

Only a couple more things to do/figure out now hehe. Got the 'new' tank put in today, so no more leaking. Cleaned it with a wire wheel and my drill, then sprayed it entiresly to protect it from rusting at all, unlike my old tank which was a huge rusting tank from hell!!. Soon I'll be able to start doing the changes I want to do!!

I am sorry if this is offtopic or not but i saw a fellow jeeper leave his haedlights on after he turned his xj off but after a few min they turned off themeselves...is this an exra feature. Bc on mine i can leave them on and they will stay on .

pete

Yes that's what everyone is talking about. :wave:
Your owners manual covers it in complete detail.

Yeah. Was shocked myself actually. Didn't think it had daylight running lights, but have them too. Go figure! Not sure if it's because of the model or not. [Mine was a Pioneer before I started putting things in that it didn't come with. Now it's a true 'limited' '90 but with a '93 front end now hehe]

There should be fuse for the headlight delay,at least there is on my 89'

FOr about a year, I figured my light relays were busted since they had this delay. I was sure that they did not come out wiht them that early! Stupid me.
BSD

My 96 does not do that. Can someone tell me the purpose?
(Besides getting other people to say 'hey you left your lights on')

For those who dont have an owners manual its called the "sentinel" feature.

jeepsrock said:
I am sorry if this is offtopic or not but i saw a fellow jeeper leave his haedlights on after he turned his xj off but after a few min they turned off themeselves...is this an exra feature. Bc on mine i can leave them on and they will stay on .

pete
It was an option, but a lot of XJs have it. It's called Headlight Sentinal. It DOES require turning off the lights with the switch. The way it works is, if you switch off the lights first and then the engine, the lights are off. If you switch off the engine first, then switch off the lights, the lights stay on for a minute to light you to the door.

If you just walk away and leave the light switch turned on, you come back to a dead battery.

Back