• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Flares

elephantrider1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I Need More Clearence I Have A 3 Inch Lift With 32x11.50x15 Tires They Whant To Rip My Flares Off When I Get In A Bind Also The Back Rubs On The Inside Been Reading Stuff About Taking The Flares Off Doing Some Cutting And Putting Them Back On In A Different Location.i Have Yet To See Anything In Detail Telling How To Do It.i Really Just Need To Know Where To Cut And Where To Mount.

Look into the How To section of
Jeepin.com

There are several good pics and write ups there.

Michael

I removed my factory fender flares, cut the sheetmetal up, redrilled holes, reattached the flares and called it a day. You might want to remove the metal "plates" on the flares in order to make it easier to bend them if relocating... The fronts are waaaaay easier than the rears to trim, depending how much you trim, you might have to reweld or bend where the two sheetmetal layers join...
There's a lot of info here somewhere... it might take you a while to sort thru it, but try a search for
"fender trimming"

Hope it helps

p.s. These are stock flares on my '88... depending what year you have it might be harder (newer XJ's)
DSCF0007.jpg

well i took them off tonight the rear ones anyway did som cutting did some bending but i just followed the highest line under the holes if i whent any higher i would have hit the spot welds which i have a mig.I would have whent higher but i was not sure where to put new holes and how to get to them if i did.evbery one of my bolts broke when taking them off any suggestions on that

Cut the fenders just above the holes, and slip some black door edge guard on the cuts. Looks pretty clean like that.I think they look better without the flares, but that is just my opinion.

88flexj said:
Cut the fenders just above the holes, and slip some black door edge guard on the cuts. Looks pretty clean like that.I think they look better without the flares, but that is just my opinion.

may look better without flares but most states require you to have them.. wheter they chose to enforce that rule is another issue totally but its a safe bet that you are going to need them to stay legal in most states.. that being said.. i trimmed my front and used the door edge guard because i never got around to reinstalling the flares.. which i need in my state..

elephantrider1 said:
any pics how it looks with the door edge trim. post away

this is the best i have right now.. pep boys had it in the bling-bling aisle in big rolls.. and the gold color matches the trim on my Limited....

standard

just hack the hell out of them or do slight trimming to fit TJ flares. they offer about another 1" of room. i say just cut and dont look back.

I am in the process of making some fender flares to cover some 31x10.50's on my '90. I was too hasty in cutting them before so now they have to be perfect to pass inspection for MD. I went to tractor supply yesterday and picked up a Polished Diamond Plate Trailer Fender for 30 Bucks. I got a small discount on it because it had been sitting in the back for a while and it had a lot of dust on it. I am goin to cut it down the middle, lengthwise, and use the 1" tab that runs around the outside of the fender to bolt it on. I just measured the hole and then took a tape measure with me to make sure I got the right one. I acutually had to bend it a bit to make it fit but it should be fine. PIcs up soon.

Edit: I will get about 4" of clearance out away from the body.

Back