• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
if you buy a 2wd will hte parts from a 4wd swap over?
assuming same year swap i.e. 1999 4wd to 1999 2wd...thereby making the 2wd original a 4wd.
the root of this question is...is it plug and play or are there computers, holes to cut, severe front axle differences?
TIA

It's not just plug and play, but there's not an extreme amount of fabrication required either. If you're trying to get a 4WD cheaply, you're probably better off buying one that was made that way. If you've already got the 2WD and can get the 4WD parts cheap enough, or if you want to do the conversion just as a fun project, go for it.

That is not true the 2wd and the 4wd will interchange with no problems I have done it and it was not a problem just make sure you have the same gear ratio in the fron t as the back!

dmillion said:
It's not just plug and play, but there's not an extreme amount of fabrication required either.

thats funny, mine sure was. no fabrication required. its all straight bolt up.

matthew

All the Xj's where built on the same platform weather 2wd or 4wd they all interchange parts... like ABS will work just don't hook up the ABS who needs it any way... :)

Back