• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny probs (AW4)

skog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 sport, 4.0, AW4, with 133K. My rpms in OD doing 55 are about 2K but recently it with run at 2K then go up to 2500 then go back down to 2K. It feels like the tranny is slipping but it might be the torque converter unlocking. I cant really tell as I dont have a lot of experence with trannies. I checked the fluid and it is red and clear with no smell. Before it started doing this it felt sluggish. It is kinda hard to explain but it felt like you just needed to give it a little extra gas to get it to move. I have owned it since 89K and this is the first tranny probs i have had. Any ideas what to do?

skog

It sounds like the lock-up is going in and out. the only one i've worked on with this complaint, was the brake switch going bad. if you touch the brakes or if the switch is engaging intermittantly it will unlock the convertor.

skog said:
I have a 96 sport, 4.0, AW4, with 133K. My rpms in OD doing 55 are about 2K but recently it with run at 2K then go up to 2500 then go back down to 2K. It feels like the tranny is slipping but it might be the torque converter unlocking. I cant really tell as I dont have a lot of experence with trannies. I checked the fluid and it is red and clear with no smell. Before it started doing this it felt sluggish. It is kinda hard to explain but it felt like you just needed to give it a little extra gas to get it to move. I have owned it since 89K and this is the first tranny probs i have had. Any ideas what to do?

skog
2000rpm should give you 65 not 55.

I jsut went out and ran it. Falcon you are right. i have about 1700 at 55 and 2100 at 65. I check the fluid hot and it still appears good and full. It doesnt matter wheither i use cruise or pedal it still does it.

a-mechanic: is there anyway to check and see if that is the problem?

skog

skog, sence you say that it does this whether or not the cruse is on, I doubt its the brake switch. If it was, the cruse would be acting funny too. I would check the TV cable, and make shure it is adjusted correctly. Then do a good tune up. It might just be that you've lost some horse power, and the converter is unlocking to give the engine the rps to pull the load. That would explain why you feel like it has been sluggish too.

Back