• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers??

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys im getting 3.5 in lift and 31 tires

to make up for lift and tire size i decided to look into a locker

i was thinking a "lockright"

once again this is my daily driver, and im on low budget

what axle?

front or rear?

actually i know some guys that run lockrights front and rear, i have been thinking about doing it myself

just not trusting the 30 with a locker, sounds like trouble to me

cassio said:

What do you mean by, "to make up for"?

Lower gearing will "make up for" larger tires, not lockers

I run Lockrites front and rear, have for about 3 years. They tend to be a little noisy but nothing too bad. as far as the front 30, I broke 2 u-joint/outers when they were 260 joints, Haven't had a problem yet when I went to 760's.

MJ1990buildup said:
what axle?

front or rear?

actually i know some guys that run lockrights front and rear, i have been thinking about doing it myself

just not trusting the 30 with a locker, sounds like trouble to me
Why would you not trust the 30 with a locker and 31s?

All you get is a noisy front end going into tight parking spaces, and some weird pulls while in 4wd. Throw a 2-lo kit in and you'll be good for tight trails.

Fergie

I have a lock right in the rear 8.25. I have 7 inches of lift with 33" tires and have not had any problems. Lock right's are way easy to install aswell.

What rear end do you have

I ran a lockrite in the back of my 89 with 4 inches and 31s when it was small. Never had a problem. Only time it was a bit sketchy was when it snowed but looking at your location I don't think that will be a problem anyway.

You may hear some comments about the Dana 35, but with 31's, put a lock rite or Aussie locker in it and wheel it until it breaks. Or you decide to go bigger. Or both.

cassio said:

I read the thread and im still confused...what do you mean by make up for? You change gears to "make up" for changing to a different tire size. Not sure what lockers have to do with lift, but anyway. Lockright is cheap and fairly reliable in my book. You can also resell to a larger market as it a DIY install. Am i missing something? I would have absolutely no qualms about running a lock right in the D30 or D35 or CHR8.25 or D44? Why not? I run a lockright in my 30 and its a DD for 2 years now, albeit in VA.

-P

Dirk Pitt said:
What do you mean by, "to make up for"?

Lower gearing will "make up for" larger tires, not lockers

I agree with Dirk. Gears are what make up for larger tires. All you guys are giving him the wrong idea by talking about lockers. The locker does nothing in terms of making up for larger tires. It will improve off road ability. Get some new gears to make up for the new tires and get a locker later.

Lore5 said:
I agree with Dirk. Gears are what make up for larger tires. All you guys are giving him the wrong idea by talking about lockers. The locker does nothing in terms of making up for larger tires. It will improve off road ability. Get some new gears to make up for the new tires and get a locker later.
I think what he is talking about is comparing an open diffed rig with 35s to a locked up rig with 31s not the difference in how it will perform from stock

DrMoab said:
I think what he is talking about is comparing an open diffed rig with 35s to a locked up rig with 31s not the difference in how it will perform from stock
exactly. to compensate for not having bigger tires a locker will allow him to go more places with the smaller tires

thanks dr moab

what i mean is i dont have the money to go with a big lift and tires

so im gonna go with a 3.5 lift and 31"

so to make up for going small on the lift and tires im going to get a rear locker.

hope that clear things up

how will the lock-right or another limited slip type locker perform in mud??

Fergie said:
Why would you not trust the 30 with a locker and 31s?

All you get is a noisy front end going into tight parking spaces, and some weird pulls while in 4wd. Throw a 2-lo kit in and you'll be good for tight trails.

Fergie

my 31's are just about done for, next is an 8.8 and SOA, and some 35's, if i left it open i would have a lot less chance toward breakage since this is my only vehicle

i was also thinkin about doin a homemade 2low kit since i already have a vacuum disconect axle

Crystal. Spend the 250 on gas and go wheeling, thats a bargain. :p Seat time. I think alot of us could go on and on about this.

cassio said:
thanks dr moab

what i mean is i dont have the money to go with a big lift and tires

so im gonna go with a 3.5 lift and 31"

so to make up for going small on the lift and tires im going to get a rear locker.

hope that clear things up

how will the lock-right or another limited slip type locker perform in mud??

Back