• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which shackle?

mn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to put a small lift in my jeep. I am thinking about coil spacers in front and a shackle in the rear. What shackle do you guys like? any I should stay away from? Thanks Ben

main leaf from a cherokee pack and zj springs

shackles will make leaf springs sag much faster,

if you really want the flex find some MJ shackles and go with a an AAL and then the zj springs with coil spacers to level

MJ1990buildup said:

shackles will make leaf springs sag much faster,

if you really want the flex find some MJ shackles and go with a an AAL and then the zj springs with coil spacers to level

Im not chasing rti ramp scores i just wanted a little lift while I save for lockers. do you mean stock zj springs? there are at least 2 of these (one for v8 I think) which should i get? how much lift does this net? Thanks Ben

rocky road outfitters shackles are what I have they are really beefy and greasable, they are the best I have seen.
-cal

Ive been looking into this and because its so darn cold out that I wont deal with the pull your own, the 130 dollar shackle and spacer kit is looking good

BruteXJ said:
Can anyone bless me with a part number for the V8 ZJ coil springs that net a "1 inch or so" lift for the XJ?

Try 52088363 for front V8 ZJ UpCountry coils

calvin andrus said:
rocky road outfitters shackles are what I have they are really beefy and greasable, they are the best I have seen.
-cal
its also cheaper than teraflex's kit. rro also comes with a spacer

I'm running the Daystar budget boost and I really like it. The shackles gave just over an inch on mine and they're good and solid. I got the ones with only the top bolt being greasable and they were only $85. The fully greasable ones were only $110 IIRC. They come with 1.5 inch polyurethane coil spacers.

I'd go with an RE 1.25" rear shackle (greaseable, stong, $65) and a set of Daystar coil spacers ($20, 1.75") cut down about a .25".
Or go real cheap: MJ rear shackle, ZJ coils, junkyard for both, same net lift. Keep in mind that the V8 ZJ coil is a bit stiffer than XJ is.

I'm running RE 1.25" shackles on my 96 and they seem to work well and they are greaseable.

MJ1990buildup said:

your saying run with only the rear main leaf?
:yikes

XJ_ranger said:
your saying run with only the rear main leaf?
:yikes
pretty sure he means add the main leaf to your pack. ought to give around an inch or two

calvin andrus said:
-cal
in my expierence RRO has the worst customer service ever, and i have read about fitment problems with their lift shackle...

Using a Full size chevy rear lowering shackle. It will give about 2 inches of lift...might do a search for chevy shackle.. oh they cost about $20 a set

MJ1990buildup said:
...shackles will make leaf springs sag much faster,

Thought we were beyond this. Flexing leafs beyond their design limit can make them sag. Shackles should be installed with an appropriate increase to the length of your bump stops.

Shackles don't make leaf springs sag. :twak:

Back