• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Brake light won't go off...

Notice any difference in braking power? The e-brake light serves not only to tell you the e-brake is on, but also when there's a pressure imbalance from the front to rear brakes, which would indicate a leak somewhere. You should do a brake checkup on all four corners, probably you will have to replace a wheel cylinder or two in the rear, that's usually the parts that start leaking first. Check all the pads, drums, shoes and rotors for excess wear and replace as necessary. Also, might be a good idea to do a fluid change since you'll need to bleed all the air out anyway. Brake fluid DOES have a limited lifetime, contrary to popular belief.

NotMatt said:
Notice any difference in braking power? The e-brake light serves not only to tell you the e-brake is on, but also when there's a pressure imbalance from the front to rear brakes, which would indicate a leak somewhere. You should do a brake checkup on all four corners, probably you will have to replace a wheel cylinder or two in the rear, that's usually the parts that start leaking first. Check all the pads, drums, shoes and rotors for excess wear and replace as necessary. Also, might be a good idea to do a fluid change since you'll need to bleed all the air out anyway. Brake fluid DOES have a limited lifetime, contrary to popular belief.
I think Matt's right on......my ebrake light staying on led to a master cylinder change.

-P

of course, you could start by checking the fluid level. aaaahh, the joy of Dummy lights. telling you something is wrong, but not what.
xxxj-va said:
I think Matt's right on......my ebrake light staying on led to a master cylinder change.

-P

I once got a dime stuck down in the rachet assembly on the brake. Made it stop just short of fully dissengauging the microswitch on the side of the e-brake. Light stayed on a while until the darn e-brake button, spring, and push lever poped out of the handle and had to buy a new one.

Mine wont either. I have no brake fluid in it because of a leak in the rear and I had to use the hand brake to get it in the shop.

Back